Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lisk, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Lisk

Lisk LawnSite Member

Anyone happen to know the best product to get rid of crabgrass at this moment?? Its taken over the yard!
  2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I have noticed recent activity as well...most guys will recommend Drive 75 for crabgrass control. Good luck!
  3. Lisk

Lisk LawnSite Member

4. Holistic Landscapes

Holistic Landscapes LawnSite Member

Isn't Drive a pre emergent? If it is it wouldn't do a thing to his yard... try Acclaim Herbicide.... potent... but it works... about 1-1.5 per gallon or 1000 sq ft... enjoy
  5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Drive does have some pre-emergent qualities. Tho it is primarily used as a post -emergent herbicide for crabgrass.

I am unsure as to how effective it actually works as a pre. I just know it says it is on the label, you would have to get it sprayed much earlier than this though...
  7. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Yeah, but it would cost you 1,000.00 to treat a lawn ;)
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yea a shovel and lots of time and a strong back,dig out what you can and treat the rest and keep treating for a few years every time it starts up again.
    But if it has a good head start on you or has been established for years...There is no getting rid of it completely
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Crab grass is an annual that loves water and will out compete Perennial turfs. Once the Temperature goes below 50 to 55 degrees it dies. However Crab Grass puts out Millions and Millions of seeds that are viable for up to 15 years. Each year only a proportion of those seeds with germinate. They must first germinate and send out a singular root which is then chemically pruned by pre emerge and controls the Crab Grass. However if no pre-emerge is applied at the proper timing for your area, the Crab Grass re-establishes years after you have not seen crab grass.

Post Emerge Crab Grass Herbicide depend on the type of turf you have. The residual of Pre Emerge depends on your soil CEC or Chemical holding power. How one Deals with Crab Grass takes in a lot of factors.
  10. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

I like simple MSMA for post-e crab control. It's cheap (Relativly) and works well. Just watch the temp.