Crabgrass!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JD LT 160, Jul 27, 2005.

1. JD LT 160

JD LT 160 LawnSite Member

hello everyone . am new to this site. i have a few questions about this issue i have a crabgrass problem i have a section of lawn i planted this spring . 1st i live in new england, i used lebanon trifecta seed. my ph is very low ( 4.5 ). i used, plenty of water, starter fert. lyme.etc,etc all i have is a 100 x100 patch of crabgrass and not 1 blade of good grass. how should i address this problem? how should i kill off the crabgrass and do it over

2. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Spray with Roundup and start over. If you do not have any good grass you did something else wrong; bad seed, planted too deep, didn't water enough, seed bed not firm enough.

3. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

you need to correct your pH! apply lime immediately (50 lbs / 1000 sq. ft. every 3 months). It would be best if you incorporated it into the soil, and if you did that you probably could apply more. Liquid lime (neutralime or similar) will give you a faster change in pH. I've heard you could also use Solucal, but I don't know where to get it around here.

4. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

ROUNDUP....IN A WEEK OR SO FROM NOW. WHEN ITS 90 PERCENT DEAD DOUBLE SLICE SEED AND AERATE, LIME, USE A LIQUID STARTER FERTILIZER, USE LESCO TEAMMATES GRASS SEED OR THE EQUIVALENT. WATER LIGHTLY EVERY DAY. OR YOU COULD PAY ME A FEW THOUSAND AND I WILL COME UP THERE AND DO IT FOR YA. payup payup payup

5. JD LT 160

thanx guys, how do those slice seeders work?? i have seen them but never tried one how deep do u set them???? ;) :rolleyes:

6. TURF SIDE UP

TURF SIDE UP LawnSite Member

i would recommend waiting until sept 1 to do your seeding, then next spring put a crabgrass preemergent down, use split apps, since you would seed in the fall, do the first one end of april, second one mid june.

it probably wasnt bad seed or anything you did wrong, crabgrass seeds can lay dormant in the soil for years until the conditions are right, or when you disturb the soil.

fall is the best time to seed, try to stay away from spring seeding if at all possible.

hope this helps

7. JD LT 160

thanks everyone!!!! i have a few more questions. some of u say spray with roundup?? when should i do that if i want to re seed in the fall. also, after i "kill it" should i re- york rake it or should i just use a slice seeder and go over the aera 2 times and get the same results

8. OrganicBob

OrganicBob LawnSite Member

DOn't use roundup. Use a weed flamer torch