Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ProLawns, Jul 30, 2005.

1. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Even with two apps of pre-emergent i'm still getting crabgrass breakthrough. What am I doing wrong.
  2. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

What are you doing wrong? Nothing, except maybe applying the herbicide twice. If it still can't keep the crab from breaking through, then why not do it just the once. I think that the guys that are specing for school ballfields may be on to something. They do not do a preemergent because of regulations and/or field seeding in the spring, but rather sell the client a post-emergent (drive or acclaim) which seems to work. I know that I am getting frustrated with my crabgrass control efforts, and I know I'm not alone.
  3. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

YEah, I switched from dimension to barricade and still getting so-so results.
    I guess the lack of rain from mid may to the first of July must have had an effect on the control. I see it mostly on the edges but have seem some breakthrough in nice thick stands of turf under treatment for years.I have also seen more foxtail in lawns then I ever have before. :angry:
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Most Pre-Emerge must be watered in with in 24 hour of application.
  5. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

and there you have the answer why we have crabgrass issues every season. homeowners refuse to water in the application applied in april ('shouldnt have to water in april, weather is cool and we have plenty of rain'.....or 'we had all that snow fall last winter i dont need to water till we get into june')....we've all heard these comments dealing with cool season turf.
    round here april, the month the majority of round one is done in, didnt get any rain. Driest april in recorded history. we get calls for crabgrass...... it does get very frustrating
  6. ProLawns

Thanks for the advice about watering in. I'll inform my customers but my first app is the last week of Feb. and most irrigation systems aren't up and running that early in the season.
  7. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

A major reason for many customers having crabgrass even with a split application of pre emergents is becuase many homeowners refuse to mow properly, especially at the time when the grass is growing at a 3 day cutting rate. They continue to cut entirely too low and virtually waste any barrier that was established by the pre emergents. I can testify that I even have lawns that i treat that don't have any pre emergents application and are mowed at a high cutting height and have no crabgrass problems at all. Much of the problem with getting control lies with how the homeowners maintain there lawn, and environmental stresses, rather than the pre emergent being uncapable of control.
  8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area, I've seen some crabgrass breakthrough in a few areas but not widespread.

The main reason for this I feel is the excessive rainfall the last couple of months. Pre-emergents applied in Spring are not holding up this year.
  9. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

How far apart are you spacing the pre em. aps, and what are you using???
  10. ProLawns

First app is the last week of Feb. Ground temps hit 55 deg. in march around here. Second app is the middle of April. I used Lesco Pre-em which is pendimethelum. I first noticed crabgrass in lawns about the middle of June.