Crabgrass!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lisk, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Lisk

Lisk LawnSite Member

Is it me or is crabgrass just totally taking over lawns this year?? In 8 years since doing lawns i never remember this much crabgrass. Even people that have treated lawns that never have crabgrass & some people with zoysia grass are even getting it!! Hows everbody's else's clients out there doing?

2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Lots of crabgrass. I'm doing my pre-em apps later next year.

3. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I have been seeing a lot more nutsedge than usual around here. Crabgrass is about the same as in the past.

4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I am with you here 100%....crabgrass everywhere!! I don't think the early hot weather and dry spells helpd either... :angry:

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

It is also possible to transfer crabgrass pieces and seeds on your blades and when you mow the next lawn you
    "plant it".If mowing a lawn or area with alot of crabgrass you really should try and spray off your blades and wheels bfr the next lawn.
    It snowballs that way.A crabgrass infestation can happen on your lawn route and it takes a few seasons but then it seems like all of a sudden lawns that never had it before now have it.
    I'm not saying that's what's happening to your lawns....just that it is a possibility you might consider

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I've also seen allot of this year. Good news is that its an annual and will croak as the colder weather sets in

On the subject of weeds, anyone notice that oxalis is really going bonkers this summer?

7. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, for this reason I try not to mow a nice lawn after mowing a lawn with crabgrass. Also, do the seeds have to lay in the soil until next season to germinate or will some germinate this season?

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

The seeds germinate in early spring in warm climates and later in colder climates.So yes.. I'm not positive but I would assume that they would germinate the following year.
    The problem with crabgrass is it can root from any tiny section of root or plant left alive in the soil or touching the soil will take root as soon as possible.
    One weed plant can produce as many as 250,000 seeds
    Crabgrass is found in lawn areas that get frequent surface watering.
    In hot moist areas.
    Infrequent but deep watering can help dry out crabgrass roots and kill them
    or reduce their vigor,
    A thick healthy turf will help also to control it.
    If you must use a herbicide to control ,use one that is made to kill grasses not weeds.

9. kcchiefs58

kcchiefs58 LawnSite Member

Also crabgrass seeds can stay dormant in the soil for about 25 years. :angry: this means it is a never ending job on controlling these weeds

10. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Given this fact, mowers transporting seeds has very little effect on whether other lawns get crabgrass. Without pre-emergent, virtually any stand of turf can be infested.