crabgrass!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by inline lawn care, Sep 17, 2007.

1. inline lawn care

inline lawn care LawnSite Member

What effective method can i use to kill off crabgrass but not my bermuda in
    the fall? thanks!!!

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

if its gets cold enough to frost there the frost will kill it off

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ortho makes a weed + crab grass NOT lawn killer sold at HD.
    That's the pricey way but for one lawn it's not too bad, for more than one or two you'll want to check into drive75 or acclaim

4. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

MSMA kills most grasses except Bermuda

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

One thing for sure is that if you try and kill crabgrass, it will stunt and stress out bermuda for a month.
    Ya, I wouldn't worry about it until spring and then put out some preemergent and then let it go until the following spring. Bermuda will continue to look bad if you try and keep the crabgrass killed all summer. I would just try and control it

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

True, true, it stresses fescue too, and control is all you can do, we don't kill weeds for good, we just displace them somewhat :laugh:

Well, they always come back, and there's no one solution that takes care of them once and for all, more like a combination.

One thing I did learn is a healthy lawn is able to fight them, but you got to dump a TON of seed and aerate and fert and lime and gypsum and just go hog wild on that thang THEN you see the difference and still there's weed control

Which, control is a year-round thing, got to stay on top of them.
    Lime and gypsum is good in spring, skip the fert for fall and maybe winter, but lime and gypsum, at least 120 pounds each per 1/4 acre.
    I love that stuff, lime and gypsum, can't go wrong, dump as much as you like but much over 250 pounds each per 1/4 gets wasteful.
    3-4 bags each per 1/4 is what I do, 120-200 pounds depending on if is 40 or 50 lb bags, 10-12 or even 14-16 bags each per acre.
    One or two apps a year of that, takes 6 months for the effect to wear through, it's very slow so once in spring then in fall.

Higher cut heights in the heat of summer help.
    As does trimming skill, try not to scalp the edges but a more vertical cut, holding the trimmer upside down works real good, I learned how to edge with it this year, wow :laugh:

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You mean lime on Fescue. Not lime on Bermuda? I know, no lime is used on centipeed. Bermuda is cut at 2 inches during dry or wet times

8. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

I bought this stuff and even after three applications I still had to use Roundup to finally kill it off.