CrabGrass

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by BostonBull, Aug 12, 2008.

1. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

Is there an easy organic way to get rid of crabgrass? With all the rain lately I have crabgrass growing where there is a lot of compaction and normal grass wont grow.

Suggestions?

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I have heard cinnamon bark but I have no personal experience with it and do not know the way to apply it

I believe smallaxe has used it with great success, hopefully he will chime in

3. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

We have a huge problem with these grasses this summer - even lawns that had pre-emergent applid in spring have this problem this year. Showcase lawns included. Any help organically or any help at all - even synthetics don't work??? next year I'm going to tret my lawn with corn gluten in early spring and again in early summer to try to negate this. Only problem is the price - soooo expensive - ICT we can use your product - get to work and watch what comes out of your mouth - LOL.

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

Crab and Nut Grass - Huge problem, so sorry to hear that. lolol, we got that beat and dollar weed to. lolol corn thats a freakin joke, we almost went broke with that stuff.LOLOLOL:laugh::laugh::laugh:

5. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Composting and seeding and ?????

6. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

no Its easy you just mix some-------- and a little ( ) and then, yeah sure, this one is not getting let out of the bag, I would be better off posting my bank acc# and a photo id.LOLOL maybe trials will start in dec.

7. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to know as well, because I don't think Crabrass Alert is labeled for cool season turf.

http://www.crabgrassalert.com/

It will take 3 shots in 4 weeks, but the Green Guardian will kill crab.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

For TG .................

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

=

SOLUTION

9. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

NattyLawn can you spot spray or is this treating the whole lawn? I am not that familiar w/ this product, but it is a fertilizer right? Doesn't the lawn grow real fast or no? thanks

10. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Mr Barefoot good to hear from you, we will have a liquid CGM in the spring, 1 liter treats 1000 sq ft, what the pricing will be is anyones guess at this point, we should be competitive priced against synthetic Pre-M. It will make it much easier to apply though, that is for sure. You should be able to get more consistent results too

One liter represents 20 lbs of solid CGM, it also has a 1.5% Nitrogen so you don't blow your nitrogen budget for the year. If you put down solid CGM (10% nitrogen) at 20 lbs per 1000 that is 2 lbs of N 1000 sq ft. NOFA only allows 3 lbs of N per year

The price of corn is a roller coaster right now, you guys do bring up a good point about carbon footprint of CGM. One month they say the floods wiped corn out, now they are saying bumper crop, who knows