Crabgrass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SharperImage LLC, Mar 27, 2012.

1. SharperImage LLC

SharperImage LLC LawnSite Member

What post em application have you guys found most effective for killing/controlling crabgrass?

2. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Quiniclorac.

3. SharperImage LLC

Thats a liquid right? Im getting into the pesticide side now since I got all my stuff done for the state.

4. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

It can be a liquid or a wettable powder (WP) or a dispersabile granule (DG)

5. SharperImage LLC

6. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Quinclorac is in Q4 and Drive. Both work fine on CG.

7. fmcprosolutions

fmcprosolutions Inactive

If you are controlling post-emergence crabgrass in a seeding situation, you'll want to use SquareOne from FMC, which contains quinclorac and carfentrazone (QuickSilver). This can be applied one day before seeding or as soon as 7 days after emergence. Whereas, the other quinclorac products you have to stop at least 7 days (if not more) before seeding and wait for 28+ days after emergence.

Drive is available in two different formulations, but both are intended to be sprayed. Q4 Plus from PBI has the same level of quinclorac as Drive. Solitare from FMC also has the same amount of quinclorac, but it does a better job on the middle-stage of crabgrass (2-4 tiller) than straight quinclorac because it contains the right amount of sulfentrazone. You'll also get tough broadleaf weeds and sedges.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Air temps have dropped down into the upper 40's to mid fifties the past 5 days or so here. That will put an end to the crabgrass talk for a few weeks. I would assume soil temps have followed looks like we are 50 at two inches if that right now.

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you are right. cooler here, too. However, only frost will kill crabgrass, not cool temps. And...I suspect a light frost will not be enough. Stay tuned.

I am hoping for about 27 degrees.