1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Crack Grass and Weed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, May 23, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

How do you get rid of the grass or weeds that grow in cracks (especially concrete cracks) or where ever else they may take root? I just trim it with my trimmer, but that takes time and eats trimmer string....Maybe if I use Roundup on them? But is that dangerous for surrounding grass or do I need a license to apply that as well? Or any other suggestions? Let me know
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

And I thought you were going to refer to illicit substances in this post. :D

I whack down with string trimmer then spray with Roundup and in PA you have to be licensed. I'm sure you probably need to be licensed where you are too. If not, just burn them down with your string trimmer although they will most likely return.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

vinegar will do the trick as well. its cheaper than round up too.
    just buy the two gallon juggs of vinegar.
  4. Vibe Ray

Interesting idea with the vinegar!!! I'll try it out. And yes, we all know that the "trimmed down crack garss and weed" comes back in a week or two!!!!
  5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you sure "we" all know that? ;)
  6. Vibe Ray

That was a real good one Scraper!!! LMAO
  7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I like to use the Round Up Pro that way you can initial the lawn and let the homeowners know that you were there.

Actually we spray the hard pavements and curb edges periodically when we are spot spraying in the beds for vegetation control.

Just be careful of drift and foliar oopses!

8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

kick-out works real good, round up works good, a total vegetaion killer would be good, i would spray this with something that prevents weeds from coming back for a few months, if not the rest of the season.

you can even sprinkle some preen or tuffin into the cracks if you know weeds will come through before the season does start.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

With the vinegar idea, actually you can dilute it 50/50 with water and it STILL works 10 times faster than water. Burns 'em right up.
  10. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

I think that if you keep smoking weed, you may begin growing all kinds of grass in your crack! I know I hate having a grassy crack. I like my crack nice and clean and open, with a space in between. No dirt in my crack! Just be careful when your blowing out your crack, you might blow crack dust in someones eye! Explain that one to OSHA. And you do need a license to spray Roundup in your crack, just don't mix any SCYTHE with it, it might cause your crack to smoke!