Crack sealing

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by SP Landscaping, Apr 19, 2014.

1. SP Landscaping

SP Landscaping LawnSite Member

How much is everyone charging for crack sealing. I'm thinking of raising my prices but not sure if I'm going to price myself out of the game.
  2. magneto259

magneto259 LawnSite Member

How do you charge? By the foot or by the pound? I charge by the foot. I tier it depending on how much I have to do.
  3. SP Landscaping

I've been charging by the foot. I've been charging $8-$10 a foot but my material cost went up like 15% and I really need to raise but I'm afraid I'm not going to land a lot of jobs because there's a bunch of low balling scab jobs around.
  4. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

8-10$ a foot, as a linear foot? So a parking lot with 2500 linear feet of cracks would cost them 20,000-25,000$?

Around here most people charge 1,00$ per linear feet.
  5. magneto259

I wish I could get those prices! lol I'm around .60-.70 cents a foot and still get beat up on my prices.
  6. richsealcoating

richsealcoating LawnSite Member

Wow!!!! $8-10 ln ft that would be awesome to get. Lucky if you get $1 around here
  7. SP Landscaping

Wow my bad its $2-4 not 8-10. I must of been thinking about the numbers 8 and 10 while I was typing. Anyway I've been sealing for 5 years but only started doing crack sealing last year. The couple I've done were at a max of 200'. I blow them out with a tow behind air compresser than the lot with the little wonder so its very time consuming. With my workers comp, biz insurance and material costs there's not much to be made IMO. On the other hand if I raise my prices I'm higher than the comp.
  8. ohiododge

ohiododge LawnSite Member

If you dont mind telling. What are you getting a sq ft for sealing. Im hearing .14 to 20 cents.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. magneto259

It depends. I try to get around .12 cents per Sq ft on commercial 2 coats. Driveways the same for 1 coat. What does you market go for up in your neck of the woods?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. joeE

joeE LawnSite Senior Member

i like to know what the other guys charge, but thats just a # to glance at.YOU need to know what it cost YOUR co to put that rubber on the lot. now i go by time & materials. if i did charge by the foot, i would need to know.................
    a box of rubber cost $50. (about 1600 sq in)

on a 1/2" x 1/2" crack, one sq in of rubber will go 4", so a 100ft crack will use 300 sq in or about $10.

on a 1" x 2" crack, 1 sq in will go 1/2", so a 100ft crack will use 2400 sq in or about $60.

how much time will it take you to clean & fill that (pick one) 100 ft crack ?

rubber cost + labor cost = 100 ft devided by 100= per ft est.

you could do 2 different prices p s f lg & sm crack.

100 ft crack......10 min to clean & 20 min to fill, (2 pases)

material $60 labor (@50.per hr) $25=$85. that is my bid.

so if they are lo ballin scum, not to worry, they wont last long & there shoddy work will show customers who not to hire.thats good for you too.

if on the other hand its just a guy willing to do the same job for a little less, that leaves the question do you raise your prices or fine tune other things. ive seen the good coaters here do it both ways and there all still here.