1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cracked deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Allyn, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Allyn

Allyn LawnSite Member

Well I inspected my deck on my new Z master (toro) and found a 3" crack in the deck. It was by a weld. My neighbor has a welder and we fixed it. I only have 128 hours.

I was wondering if this a going to be a problem? Do any of you have this problem with your machines? I don't think that I am hard on my machine. I kind of baby it.

It only took about 5 minutes to fix, but I thought that it would be alittle stronger than that.

2. dhicks

dhicks Member

Why didn't you take it back to the dealer and get a new deck? That deck should not be cracking. I hope you did not void the deck warranty.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree with dhicks on this. I would of demanded a new deck. Now if it breaks next to your weld, they probably will tell you it's your fault. Most breaks usually happen next to a weld.
  4. Allyn

Allyn LawnSite Member

It probably is under warranty. You would not be able to tell where the weld is. The people I bought it from are in SL, but there is a dealer here in Vegas. I haven't talked to him yet. It was underneath were the grass is.

I was more concerned about down time than the deck and waiting for them to fix it.

5. Allyn

Allyn LawnSite Member

I was more concerned about the down time. You would looking at it you would not know that we fixed it.

6. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

I agree with Eric & DHicks,you should have brought it to the dealer and demanded a new deck.If they find out you welded it you will void the warrenty,Hopefully you will be all set,curious did you undo the ground wire to the battery before welding it
  7. Allyn

Allyn LawnSite Member

The guy who welded the job was a pro. He does this for a living, but no we didn't disconnect the ground. It started fine after he was done.

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I had this happen to one of my 60" deck .....10 month old unit .....took it to the dealer ......they welded it on the spot ....ordered a new deck ....when it came in he called ......I only ended up with at most 4 hours down time

a good dealer is a must have :-> ......I'd call the dealer to see if something can be done
  9. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

Where did the crack happen at. Is it something that could just as easily happen on a new deck. Chances are it is a design flaw and even if you asked for a new deck the problem could still be there. I think you should tell Toro engineering personally about the problem but just stick with the same deck because you most likely fixed the problem. If Toro engineers are like most they will be happy to discuss the problem and maybe help to improve your problem. It's good for them to hear about problems directly from the consumer. I've learned that going directly to the engineering department is the quickest way to get a problem taken care of. Hope this helps.

10. Allyn

Allyn LawnSite Member

It is where the outside of the deck meets the bar that goes to the machine. I thing that the weld was not very good, or when they first did the weld the metal was not quite touching each other.

I was more concern about down time than the weld. If I was to take it to the dealer, he would have done the same thing. I don't believe that they would give me a new deck. They would have had the dealer fix the problem and then bill Toro for the work.

It would have cost me more to take it to the dealer than to my neighbor.