1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cracked deck ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sbvfd592, Feb 28, 2002.

1. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

well i was looking at a 36 inch bobcat 2day it wasn't in the best shape but it was being sold for 200 but it ran well to handled OK but there are 3 cracks in the deck so in i get it how would i fix it would i weld the shut there cracks Arnet big maybe 2 inches how dose the deck crack in the first place i have a welder what's the best way to go bought this problom thank you for the advice in advance:blob2:
  2. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

where are the cracks in the deck?
  3. sbvfd592

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

for 200 u got little to loose. true the spindles if possible ,so they are where they are suppose to be and strait as u can gettum.
    then use plate steel to weld the cracks and hold every thing where its suppose to be. could end up with a good finish mower
    or bush hog. if the motors solid u probably alright ,assuming your welder friend is gonna charge u supper an materials.good luck.
  5. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Most importantly you need to drill a hole usually 1/4" at the end of the crack. If you just weld over the crack it will keep spreading over time. by Drilling the hole it will keep the crack from spreading.
  6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

A deck starts cracking usually because it is thinning and the constant vibration makes the thin metal crack. Usually you are in for endless welding and downtime. I went through this and just decided it was best to buy a new deck
  7. Not only does this stop the crack from spreading but you can weld all the way around the crack to fix it if you weld both bottm and top of the deck.

Charles, I don't think that if he bought a $200 mower that he has the money to spend $450 on a new deck.

Decks crack from stress, abuse, and normal wear (in some cases)
  8. sbvfd592

thanks for your responces
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

LAWNGODFATHER, whether or not he is willing to invest more money what I said still holds true.
  10. It's what I would do also.

I also wouldn't buy a mower for $200