1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cracked PEB

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mrsteve, Nov 9, 2012.

1. mrsteve

mrsteve LawnSite Member

Another why me on Friday job. Knowing that this valve has a likely chance of doing this, I ran my finger nail around the seat, and didn't feel a split. So I rebuilt the valve complete (everything except the body). During a follow up check today, I see that it's still seeping. Pretty sure what the problem is so I get ready to replace it, luckily I still had the new body from the rebuild. I was thinking the worst since I knew it was in copper. My plan was to spin it off and maybe try a compression coupling on the downstream side to keep from getting the torch out. Surprise, someone else had the same idea when they put the valve in. So spin it off, tape the threads spin it back pressurize and check for leaks - good to go. The valve I put back is the newer PEB so I hope Rain Bird has made them stronger in that area.

photo 1.jpg

cracked peb.jpg

2. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah PEBs are always fun showed up to fix a weeping valve and found two that had major internal seat cracks. The whole place has 11 PEBs, things to look forward to:rolleyes:

3. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

I would blame metal male threads into plastic females with prolonged water hammer the cause of that crack , nice find

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

Seen plenty of that on other valves this year, nice repair.......cept that compression fitting! I refuse to use them, but understand why u did in this case.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. mrsteve

mrsteve LawnSite Member

Not a fan of the compression either. Sometimes on the lateral side as in this one. You wouldn't believe the number of them I see on the main side. I'm seeing them because I'm there to repair the main line leak. I would recommend teflon paste on the threads of the compression, makes a much easier tightening process.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that is a very likely cause.

7. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

don't forget that the metal male threads were probably over tightened too.... and possibly too many wraps of Teflon tape too...

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

That usually causes a split on the female threads of the valve though, not the seat? Right? Ijn my experience anyways.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm thinking mostly water hammer, but I never use metal pipe into plastic threads.

10. mrsteve

mrsteve LawnSite Member

IMO Rain Bird had a weak link there in the seat area. I used to see this valve leaking at the threads quite a bit. I've seen many a valve turned sideways in an effort to control the leak (main side). So to compensate they would really crank the male adapter on the next valve they installed. So maybe it's a little of both. Too tight and a weak spot on the PEB.