Cracked Pump

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Ben Bowen, May 13, 2012.

1. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

I have a client who has a centrifugal pump that has a hairline crack in the priming bucket. The supplier it was purchased from is in the throes of bankruptcy so replacing just the priming bucket means dealing directly with the manufacturer. I am willing to do that, but was wondering if anyone has ever succesfully patched a crack like this?

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't say that I have ever heard of a Primer pot/leaf basket cracking unless maybe from abuse. Because of the flow rate and turbulence within the primer pot/leaf basket, I would be reluctant to even expect a patch that would last. You sound like you expect the manufacturer to replace it. These units normally carry only a 1 year warranty.

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

it is unlikely that the mfgr. will replace the pvmp without proving an obvious mfgr. defect. i have seen welds on plastic and metal pumps BUT i doubt the cost difference is so great that a new pump would would not be advised. remember that if you repair or even suggest a repair that yov may be accepting responsability for a failure. is this customer worth the chance?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

I believe it froze this winter. No, I dont expect it to be warrantied for that. I just have to deal with the manufacturer to buy the part.

Thanks for the feedback guys!