Cracked spindle housing for Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hartmas, Sep 7, 2007.

1. hartmas

hartmas LawnSite Member

I cracked a spindle housing the other day on my 52 inch Laser HP. The cast iron housing split on me where it bolts into the deck. This occured because I hit a metal pipe. Has anyone else ever hit something that it had enough force to do this kind of damage?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I had a root bend a blade once...
    And I cracked a pulley on that same spindle while trying to get it to come off, using a gear puller (bad idea lol).

Best solution I've found is to turn down the rpm's around potentially damaging obstacles like that, most pipes, concrete culverts, rocks, stumps, whatever you have, pull back on the throttle and slow down the engine some until you're past it and it's just for that one pass close by, haven't had any major problems since.

3. Bond's Lawn Keepers

Bond's Lawn Keepers LawnSite Member

Yes it can happen. One of my employee hit a 4" pipe that was above the ground. He said he did'nt see it. I order him new glassess. Then i told him, you break you buy the next time. It was not hard to put another one on. I replace every thing on it. This one was the new type on the xs

4. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

Exmark builds there spindle in a way that it is a weak point on the mower, so that when an operator does similiar to what you did, it limits the damage to the mower.

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Broken Spindle and Bent Blade :hammerhead: The spindle is from an Exmark as is the blade, just different days

Picture 012.JPG

Picture 101.JPG

ericg likes this.
  6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Do you really do that?

7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

Same thing I was thinking.