Craftsman 33" walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnpro724, Apr 4, 2008.

1. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a customer who purchased a craftsman 33' mower to mow his lawn but now has health problems and won't be able to do it anymore. He paid over $1,000 for the mower last fall and would like to trade it out for lawn mowing. He is only asking $600 for it. I know this is not a commercial unit and is in no way anywhere close to the quality of the commercial Toro's I use. I would like to hear from those of you that have this mower. How well does it hold up, ease of use and so on. I'm only looking at using this for one or two properties and my own yard. The mower has only been used 7 times last year and is less than a year old.

2. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

I don't think the drive system would last anytime at all!

3. thechevyman

thechevyman LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Take it on trade for mowing service and sell it on Ebay. I think it would bring 600 if it is like new. Watch Ebay and look for the Troy, Craftsman, billygoat 33" mower. They are all about the same in price.

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I think I would take it and sell it on craigslist or whatever. As far using as a mainline mower I would pass. Or perhaps use it as a backup machine.

5. Ronniecoleman

Ronniecoleman LawnSite Member

perhaps a decent mower for small gates?

6. memac259

memac259 LawnSite Member

I actually got one in the same type of deal. Used once and I got it for $400.00 at the end of last season. I use it in small back yards where the gate is an issue. It cuts ok, but isn't the easiest to use....you have to stop to change gears, a little hard to turn. But for the price I paid it's better than using a 21 inch. So far no issues with maintenence..............wouldn't recommend it unless you get a real good price.

7. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

One of my first machines was a Troybuilt 33" walkbehind that had Nylon pulleys...was a wonderful cut and great to use until your blade hit something and shattered the pulley.

8. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I have a friend that mowed commercially with 2 Cub Cadet Wide Cuts. The same as that Sears mower only in yellow. Put hundreds of hours on them until he quit the biz. He sold one and still uses one for his own yard. It prolly wont take the abuse that your Toros will but I wouldnt hesitate especially if I were to use it myself and not abuse it like employees seem to do.

9. ffemtmcd

ffemtmcd LawnSite Senior Member

I have a cub cadet 33" wich looks almost exactly like the craftsman - works great, cuts nice. On mine you don't have to stop to change gears unless your going to reverse. It works great especially getting through gates and I'm on my second season with it.

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I've swapped work for homeowner equipment more than once. NEVER worked out for me. Lost money on the deals...