1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Craftsman 34cc, 4 Cycle Line Trimmer?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by gyver65, May 27, 2004.

1. gyver65

gyver65 LawnSite Member

I am in the market for my very first gas string trimmer. My first purchase was a "Black & Decker Grass Hog" cordless trimmer with edger. It would only stay charged for about 20 minutes (even less when I used the edger). It lasted about two years so I decided to buy a "Black & Decker" electric, and the edger clip broke off on the first day. I took it back and bought a "Homelite" split boom gas trimmer which was a display model at the "Home Depot". It was discounted from $99 to $69 but it did not work when I got it home so I took it back.

I like the idea of having a split boom so I can attach an edger to it. Yesterday I went to a local lawn equipment store and the salesman showed me a couple of his "Stihl" trimmers but he did not have a split boom but he showed me a straight shaft split boom in a catalog listed for $279 plus $90 for the edger attachment. $370 is more than I am willing or even capable of spending since I am on a budget.

Sears has a Craftsman 34cc, 4 cycle split boom for $170 plus $54 for the edger attachment, and for another $35 I can purchase a "3 year In-Shop Repair Protection Plan". That would be a total of about $260. This is the absolute most that I am willing to spend. I like the idea of not having to use the gas/oil mix since this one is a 4 cycle. I know that there will be times when I am not at home and either my wife or teenage son will want to give it a try. I would just hate to know that they put straight gas in a 2 cycle engine. I would rather eliminate that factor from the start. The three year warranty would offer me some peace of mind.

Any thoughts on this model (#79612)? My yard is less than half an acre so it will not be used that much (maybe once every week or two in the summer months).

Thank you!
  2. dondinct

dondinct LawnSite Member
    from CT

I hate the 2-cylcle smoke and smell... I bought a Honda 4-cycle and love it. it's not what you are looking for, but a 4-cycle is sweet.
  3. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

For what it's worth, there's very little of either now that I switched to Opti-2 oil for my 2-cycle gear.
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Go to home depot,buy a toro trimmer for 139.00,buy the edger attachment for 60-70(don't remember)

I don't like craftsman stuff,most of it is poulan made.
  5. gyver65

gyver65 LawnSite Member

I have seen that Toro at Home Depot. The curved shaft is $139 and the straight shaft is $169. Do you have a Toro?
  6. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

I have one that is used strictly around my own house for edging,or if the need would ever arise to be used as a backup to the 1 echo or the 3 stihl trimmers that we have.
    It does not compare to the echo's or the stihl's but it will serve a homeowner for such purposes.
  7. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

straight shaft only

but i love my shin i swear by it but stihl is great really worth the cash
  8. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Consider a straight shaft and an edgit attachment ($60-70 www.edgit.com). It will make edging a breeze while also simplifying your regular trimming (reduce entanglement with chain link fences, etc).
  9. gyver65

gyver65 LawnSite Member

Thanks for everyone's input. I now have another dilemma. I took a look at the Craftsman 4 cycle trimmer at Sears but I was not that impressed. It was heavy and not very well balanced. They had one that was slightly used for $40 cheaper. I asked the salesman why the person brought it back and he told me that they didn't like how it worked. If that doesn't kill a sale I don't know what does.

Then I decided to visit Lowes and Home Depot since both are offering 0 % financing for 12 months as long as you spend at least $299. Now I am torn between one at Lowes and one at Home Depot. Here are my options:

Lowes: Cub Cadet 18" Straight Shaft Split Boom Model #CC3075 $198
    Troy-Bilt Edger Attachment Model # LE720R $ 70
    Total $268 plus tax.
    I would have to spend a little more in order to get the 0 % financing.

Home Depot: Echo Straight Shaft Model # SRM210: $199
    Echo Stick Edger Model # PE200: $199.99
    Total $399 plus tax.

Would it be a great advantage to purchase the two from Home Depot as opposed to the split boom at Lowes? I have never used a split boom so I don't know how much trouble it would be.

Thank you!
  10. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

If it were me I would buy the 2 echo's.
    I've gotten used to quality equipment and won't buy anything other at this point,but I am not on a tight budget either.
    The echo's will last a long time for a homeowner,but I'm sure the cub cadet trimmer combo will serve a homeowner just fine as well.
    I'd go echo,but that's just me,It is more money than you were willing to spend originally.