Craftsman 6.5 mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jerseydevil, Aug 15, 2006.

1. jerseydevil

jerseydevil LawnSite Member

I have a Craftsman 6.5hp briggs engine that is only 4 yrs old. My friend uses it till the bagger is full then shuts it off to empty the bag. He cannot get it started again. Sears told him that it was vapor locked. After it sits a good while it'll start again. I checked it out and believe that it's getting the gas just no spark. The armiture/ignition coil reads short to the mower ground no matter what position the bail/kill switch is in. After sitting all night I'm gonna go back out this afternoon and read the resistance of the coil again. If it's cleared I know the module is bad. I haven't tried the vent on the gas cap yet but that's next. Does anyone know what the value in ohms should be of a good armiture vs a bad one and am I right in thinking that with the bail closed it shouldn't read to ground and when the bail is open it should be a short to ground? Also has anyone else experienced a "hot start" problem before??????:dizzy:

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Do yourself a favor and leave the multimeter put away on this one, If you have spark testing with the plug out and in the wire held againest a head bolt cold then it drops after warming up then has spark again cold replace the coil and be done with it. Many many people have this same problem it's not uncommon.

3. jerseydevil

ROB. thanks for the advice. I'm sure it's the coil too but then again I have been wrong before? :drinkup: Have a good one.

4. jerseydevil

WELL. It wasn't the armature after all. After spending the $32.99 for teh new coil , installed it started ok ran for 5 mins and the same thing wouldn't start? No spark. After several mins of profanity and other sailor like vanaculars I started from scratch and discovered that eh stationary stop switch was causing the problems. It was way too loose and after running and heating up/vibrating the brass tab was engaging the metal tab on the flywhell brake thus causing teh short on the coil! Of course there is a 20% restocking charge not to mention tehe no return on electrical parts! Oh well another lesson financed by your's truly!:hammerhead: But at least I found the problem. Sometimes if ya just go back to basics you can't go wrong.:dizzy:

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Hey, look at it this way: if you had taken it into the shop, the labor to find and correct that problem likely would have run about the same as what you spent on the coil. So, you probably came out pretty even and now have a spare coil should one actually go bad, plus the experience for next time to trace out every possible variable instead of jumping to the expensive one.