Craftsman 6.75 hp Lawnmower slow start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ponche, Feb 19, 2002.

1. ponche

ponche LawnSite Member

I have a Craftsman self-propelled lawnmower with a 6.75hp High Torque (Eager 1) engine. It has a solid state ignition with a supposed one pull start. It is 2-3 years old.
    My problem is that it takes way to many pulls to start it for a ONE PULL STARTER.
    According to the instructions, 5-6 pumps on the primer should be sufficient.
    I end up having to pump the primer 20 times, pull 4-5 times, then repeat the process 2 more times before it will start.
    I checked the primer pump and it's pumping plenty of gas, the spark plug is new and getting spark and I've changed the air filter. I don't want to change the ignition module until I know that's it.
    Does anybody have an answer for me?
    Thanks

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

bad batch of gas? how about the oil? cold start will do it two especially if its been sitting. i got the same mower but 6.5 hp and it starts first pull. exceptions have been last week when starting it for first time in months, its been in garage for winter, cold start, primered about 10 times, started fully third pull, i cant complain. suggestions would be check the gas and oil, maybe a tune up, if no luck check with sears.

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like the primer check valve is bad. Rebuild the carb and replace the bulb also.

4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

does it have a fuel filter?

5. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmmmmm. I've heard of those engines. I've not heard good things about 'em either!! Is it just hard to pull the recoil rope? Hope you fix it!:) :)

6. boompa

boompa LawnSite Member

I've had the same problem with the 6.5 (Tecumseh), now I've stripped - or just pulled out the rope start and must repair.

Also, for fresh fuel, I buy one gallon of 89 octane mid grade - at a time.
    Any thoughts on using the higher octane??

Thanks,