Craftsman Floor Jack

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Breezmeister, May 6, 2008.

1. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

It's a craftsman 2 1/2 ton rolling floor jack that gets used every day in the shop. I'm just tired of putting oil in it every few days. I was wondering if any one here has ever rebuilt a floor jack, things to do and not to do. As far as I can tell, the only thing wrong with it is that it leaks oil and creeps down.

I'm sure I can get what ever parts I need from Sears for that, but I also have a 12 ton bottle jack that needs to be fixed. There was a guy that I had dealt with on Rt 41 here in South Jersey that repaired jacks, from what I understand he has moved on to the happy hunting ground.
    So if anyone knows of a place I can get parts for that here in Burlington, Camden or Gloucester Co. A name or number would be appreciated

ericg likes this.
  2. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

As far as the floor jack, you can rebuild them yourself. There's not much to them, a few "O" rings and you're back in business. Sears Parts should be able to help get what you need as long as you have the model number of the jack. You might could take the bottle jack apart and see what is wrong with it and go to an industrial supply house and get the parts you need to fix it.

3. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

sears will have a kit. the only problem you will have is finding some one that works at sears that knows how to look them up. i had to look up my own and had to beg to do it. i love my old craftsman jack. its allmost 20 years old and i have rebuilt it twice. if i remember right there was a place in millville nj that had hydro parts. cause thats what you will be doing rebuilding a hydro cylinder. it took me over a month to get a set of gears for the thing but worth the weight.

4. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

the Sears web site has a parts list that does not have an kit to repair the "power unit". Instead they will sell the whole cylinder unit for 104 bucks, the jack when I got it was only 119 dollars ;)

So I called the local Sears repair shop, I was told that they do not have a kit for it. And that they will sell me the cylinder, but it will be OME parts. But he could not tell me who made the jack......:nono:

So does any one know who does make rolling floor jacks or Sears ?

ericg likes this.
  5. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Why don't you just buy a new one from Northern? Their prices range from about $70 to $80, and they have 3 1/2 ton for $90.

6. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

I love my boss :rolleyes: I had to get three prices on a new floor jack, 3 1/2 tons or better.

3 1/2 ton quick lift from Northren 149.00 plus 60.00 shipping. It weights 91 lbs
    Shipping is the killer on anything from Northren.

3 1/2 ton at the local auto parts store 99.00 for a no name made in China junk. And they would deliver :)

4 ton quick lift from Sears 129.00, in stock and we pick it up any time some one is near a Sears. :rolleyes: It will be in the shop Monday morning.:clapping:

But I wanted to find out what it would cost to rebuild the old one, and if it was cost effective to do so. It would be nice to have 2 working jacks so I wouldn't have to put some thing up on jack stands.

Either way, the old one will get taken apart when I have the time just to see what is what. Besides, I could talk my boss into getting a rebuild kit if the price was right.

ericg likes this.
  7. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Even though you have 2 jacks id still use jack stands if you are going to be anywhere near or under what ever you are lifting

8. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

I agree with you on that if I'm going under something. This job is not worth any part of my body or my life. But there are times when I have a 2 minute job come in the door that needs a jack and the jack stands are already in use on something else.

ericg likes this.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If it makes you feel any better I have TWO such jacks, the kind that like to slowly creep...down...

One trick I did find is to fiddle with the two screws where the labels say "Do NOT Adjust!"

Another trick is to put a Vise grip onto the handle and use that to tighten it just a tee more than you could by hand (but don't force it too much).

That helps for a bit.
    One day, maybe tomorrow, I'll take a look at them...
    I have O-rings, if that's the problem.

You can get a whole assortment from Harbor Freight.
    But I'm not sure if any are the right size now.

10. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, I didn't know about the high shipping cost. But the $90 3 1/2 ton one I saw was this.
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...duct_6970_200305249_200305249&issearch=144855

They also had a 4 ton fast lift for $120
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...duct_6970_200335095_200335095&issearch=144869

And, of course, there's also Harbor Freight's 3 ton at $70. But that's probably from China, and you may not be comfortable with that.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94629