Craftsman Gt-3000 Pto switch

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TFC_Madcat, Sep 14, 2006.

1. TFC_Madcat

TFC_Madcat LawnSite Member

Hello all,
    I have a problem with my electric pto switch. After a few min of use ,it melts and falls apart. I put in a new switch and same thing happens ,just took a few more min.I checked the wires going down to the electric clutch and they are not chaffed any were. Any ideas ? Bad clutch maybe?
    Any idea what it will cost to fix?
    ]

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

do you have the fuse bypassed or too large a fuse in the circuit?

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

4. TFC_Madcat

Thanks you glad to be here,
    My unit is a craftsman gt 3000
    23hp Kohler
    48in deck
    2001 model
    what other info would be helpful? Do you need the engine serial number?

I have only found 1 fuse in the system , and it is a 30 amp fuse.
    I dont seem to have a fuse in the electric clutch circut as far as i can tell.

5. Restrorob

Look under the seat, There should be a white tag with model and serial numbers listed, Thats the ones needed.

6. TFC_Madcat

I got ya. Ill get that info up here this evening when i get home

7. TFC_Madcat

The model number is 917.275010
    serial is 090501A004687

8. Restrorob

OK, What you need to do is adjust the PTO clutch and see if that doesn't solve the problem. As they wear the air gap gets wider and requires more amperage to keep it engaged, Which could cause the switch to over heat.

There is three slots in part # 5 to insert a 0.012 feeler gage and adjust the three nuts until you feel a little drag on the gage. But only move each nut a little at a time because one will throw the other out, Go around the clutch a couple times to make sure they are even.

[​IMG]

9. TFC_Madcat

Ok i'll check those adjustments today and see how it goes. I'll get back with and give results. Thanks for the info.

10. TFC_Madcat

Ok, what i found was ,the pto clutch was completely shot. The bearing just fell apart when i took it off,and the coil was all chewed up. Really suprised it ever worked.I also found a few other problems when i was into it. The muffler was trashed internally(glad i saw that one in time). An idler pully, a few bearings and of coarse another pto switch. Ran my tractor for a few hours today and it runs like a top. Thanks for help yall, great forum!