Craftsman GT 3000 will not start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mjspear, Aug 15, 2006.

1. mjspear

mjspear LawnSite Member

I have a Craftsman GT 3000 mower with tha 23 HP Kohler pro engine. A few weeks ago while mowing, the engine suddenly shut off. After that, I couldn't even get the engine to turn over. It makes no sound when the key is turned unless the pto switch is engaged. I have replaced the fuse, ignition switch, safety swithches, and the operator presence relay. I can't find anything wrong with the wiring. I have had this mower for 4 years and this is the first problem I have had. The model number is 917.275042. I would appreciate any help someone could give me on this situation. Thank you.

2. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

What is your loaded battery voltage?

3. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

Check for voltage at the starter. The large red wire should always be hot, and the blue wire should have 12 volts in the start position.

4. mjspear

mjspear LawnSite Member

The red wire is hot at about 10 volts, but the blue wire shows nothing in the start position.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Put your test leads on the battery post and not the connectors, Read the voltage. It should be between 12 and 12.5, With the leads still connected turn the key to the start position and read the voltage drop if any, Then put the test leads on the connectors and read the voltage and again in the start position. Then post back the results.

6. mjspear

mjspear LawnSite Member

At the terminals, it shows 10.42 and 9.42 at start.
    At the leads, it shows 10.31 and 9.31 at start.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Before much testing should be done I would suggest trying to charge the battery, It should have between 12 and 12.5 as posted. Then proper test readings can be obtained to trouble shoot the problem.

8. mjspear

mjspear LawnSite Member

My charger shows that the battery has a full charge.

9. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

"Full-charge" indication or not, I would think your voltage drop is a bit high, if the battery is healthy.
    What is the MFR stated cranking current, and how old is it?
    I would suggest to all, attaching the install date to side of battery, using a permanent "Sharpie" on a piece of masking tape, then covered with clear strapping tape.
    This should be done even on your hearing aid battery, TV clicker, and especially flash-light (kept in your truck) batteries.

10. mjspear

mjspear LawnSite Member

It's the original battery, so that would make it 4 years old. It is 280 cranking amps.