Craftsman GT300 problems

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by euspaoc, Mar 6, 2005.

1. euspaoc

euspaoc LawnSite Member

Hello All,

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this... I have a Craftsman GT3000 garden tractor (about 3 years old). Has about 70 hours and is used only for mowing the lawn and hauling away leaves via trailer. Was using it yesterday for half the day hauling away leaves when later in the day it wouldn't start. Turn the key and it started to click and nothing.

First thought it was battery or electrical.

When you disengage the release on the back of the mower to "manually" push the mower, the wheels are also locked up.

Are we talking serious transmission, engine problem here? Yes, it has oil and it didn't smoke or give any signals of oil problems (i.e., burning oil smell, smoking etc.) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure because I don't know much about their riders but sounds like to me that the pedal you push to disengage the motorkill/engine in nuetral is not totally disengaging the transmission and the mower thinks that it is in gear causing it not to start. Check for a buildup of debris in the areas affected and clean them out if neccesarry. Other than that it might be a bad switch. As far as the manual disengage....I don't know. Maybe the same thing, might have debris built up in there and not be allowing the disengauge to fully operate.

Hope that gives you an idea of where to start.
  3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The only thing i can think of is that you don't have the brake/clutch pushed it. i have a DLT2000 with 300 hrs on it with no problems. I wouldn't think that it would matter that the back wheels are locked up for it to not start...hmmm
  4. PLM-1

You know come to think of it...i had a little bit of trouble with the spring that attatches to the trans from the brake rod. lube that up real well...that may be the problem!
  5. euspaoc

euspaoc LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys. The brake is unlocked for the "manual push" mode so I've ruled that one out. I did have a bit of debris in it and cleaned it out as well. I'll check the spring from the trans to the brake rod.

I had a zero turn mower years ago where the sensor on the seat went out and couldn't push it as well...
  6. PLM-1

that shouldn't matter if the brake is set...wouldn't hurt to check though
  7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If you turned the key and all it done is clicked then you have a bad starter drive.
  8. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

A 'click' would also indicate a weak battery.
  9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Or maybe dirty or corroded cables
  10. shardy0081

shardy0081 LawnSite Member

Maybe someone can help me as well, I have a GT 3000, I was mowing my yard today, I had been mowing for about 30 minutes when I had to shut it off to answer the phone. About 5 minutes later when I tried to start it, it would not do anything, not even turn over. I checked everything I could think of, and still nothing.

Any suggestions!!!!!

S. Hardy