1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Craftsman Hydro Trans Are they all the same?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Whitaker24, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Whitaker24

Whitaker24 LawnSite Member

Got a mower that wont go fwd, but will go in reverse. Father in law gonna give me an old craftsman he took the deck off of that the transmission works fine but will hydro to hydro be the same? Anyone know?
  2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

No, they won't.

You need to make sure the model/part # on the sticker that is on the transmission is the same.
  3. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

They are not the same on all machines. That being said, if one was so inclined, you can move one trans to another machine it possibly work. I've taken gear drive trans' off machines and installed hydro units and only had to make very minor modifications. We've also put a Craftsman deck on a Ford tractor and made it work. It's all really a matter of how bad do you want it to work and to what extent are you willing to go... But some stuff just hooks right up and works fine with no problems.

If you can post the model numbers from both machines I can tell you if it will work and how big of a p.i.t.a. it may be to make it work.
  4. Whitaker24

current mower model # 917.27.2264 #'s on transmission Hydrogear 2162H4063

Parts Mower: Model # 917.270532 #'s on transmission 4360140, 170269
  5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

This reminds me of the 7 speed reverse MTD.
    This man brings me a MTD , I think it was a 660 series if I remember right. Anyway he had this transmission he had gotten somewhere. I tried to tell him just because they looked the same they may not be the same. Oh he got mad at me saying he knew good and well they were the same and my boss at the time told me just to shut and and switch out the transmissions and I did. Guess what? He ended up with 1 forward speed by putting it in REVERSE and 7 reverse speeds where the 7 FORWARD speeds should have been. I almost lost my job because I laughed at him and my boss until I wet my pants.
  6. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

7. Whitaker24

Ok so this switch wont work then. I figured someone on here would know before I did more than pick the mower up. thanks
  8. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, going from gear drive to hydro or vice versa generally is a bad idea.. It can be done, but usually it's just not worth the effort that it takes to make it happen.