1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Craftsman lifetime warranty no good now!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by khouse, Nov 2, 2006.

1. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I purchased a 1/2 drive torque wrench back in the mid 70's and was replaced by sears maybe 2 times up to 1980. In the early 80's i bought another one for a back up. Well my back up wrench broke and my other wrench wouldn't click no more so off to sears i went to get me 2 new wrenches. they first said that they would order me in 2 new units at no charge. i get a call from them about a week later and was told that they couldn't do the deal. i went into sears to talk face to face with them. they told me that sears had no record that i owned the wrenches. i said "what does that matter" he then said that sears can't search back that far to see if they even had a lifetime warranty in the mid 70's (i know they did because they replaced it twice) then he asked me to read the package on the NEW torque wrenches where it said 1 year warranty. i said - you don't get it do you? when i bought them they had the warranty now sears is changing the rules. I said so if you buy a new car with a 5 year warranty and your tranny fails in 1 year and then the manufacturer says they changed it to a 90 day warranty you would be fine with that? he said sure.... i knew i wasn't getting anywhere with him and i was getting hot. so i left. now i'm on a web rampage to get sears to replace my torque wrenches. you guys probably think i'm crazy. maybe i am?
  2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i see where youre coming from call customer service and see what those oh so happy people have to say
  3. khouse

They said they got that info right from the main office at Sears. I have now sent the main office a hot letter. We'll see if they reply. I just don't want Sears or any other company to weasel out of a warranty. Yes, i can buy new wrenches but that's not my point. They also told me that it wasn't a hand tool. They are making up excusses right and left.
  4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

What is wrong with the wrenches, are they snapped off, or just don't register proper torque?
    if they are broken in the form of snapped off or something of that nature, it should be covered, if it has anything to do with the proper torque readings it wont be. don't ask my why, I have the same problem with MAC tools with my clicker torque wrench, Mine snapped off at the swivel end, if it hadn't snapped the torque reading was accurate. what a arguement, in the meantime I bought a Snap on digital. get one. you'll love it.
  5. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

you get what you pay for Sears aint Sears any more it it a Kmart because one of the other bought into the other If you want good tools pay the price and get SNAP ON Tools
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yah, But even snap on changes the warranty policy after the purchase, My half set of drill bits that were supposed to be lifetime warranty when I bought them is getting kinda thin now that they won't cover any of them.
    110 bucks for a set of bits, anything under a 1/4 in was not covered, anything larger was when I bought them, snap on changed the policy and refused to replace any, after that pizzing match I will go to harbor frieght or Menards. snap on really lowered themselves in my eyes over a stupid little 3/8 drill bit, and several others since.
  7. Joey2028

Joey2028 LawnSite Member

I know you guys don't want to hear this, but as you already know not everything with the Craftsman name is lifetime warranty. I used to work for sears a few years ago in the tool department. If you look at the new packaging for the torque wrench you will see that it only has a 1 year warranty. They consider this a "wear" item because it has to calibrated every so often. the same goes for drill bits and the like. I used to swap them out, because I was in those shoes and I know what it's like to have a broken piece and really need it to get back to work. any way that is my 2 cents.
  8. khouse

i'm positive in 1975 they had a life time warranty. they did replace one twice in the 70's or early 80's. one has a crack in the plastic handle. the other's ratchet is bad and won't click everytime. another thing they told me at sears was - those aren't craftsman tools, they have to say craftsman right on the tool. i quickly showed that indeed each one had craftsman stamped into it. that's when they started making up other excusses. i did find on the sears web site that if a torque wrench has the craftsman name on it - it is covered by the warranty for everything but calibration. i will research it more and build up my case then slap it on thier counter.
  9. Joey2028

Joey2028 LawnSite Member

That sounds like a plan, I know at the store I worked out it you made a big enough stink and ask to speak to the manager usually they would back down. If they didn't all you had to say was you want the 800 number for custer service and then they really would back down. The way it used to work was if the store got a complaint from the "800" number it would be posted to all the managers in the area and then go to the district manager level. the stores never wanted that to happen. I beleive if you keep after them you will get it.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

You know power tools are not covered and they say crapsman right,it's that way with everthing you buy i have a assortment of everthing.