Craftsman LT2000 "Reverse Operating System" Question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by SeatTime, Apr 16, 2008.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime LawnSite Member

I just got the Craftsman LT 2000 riding mower with hydrostatic transmission...my question relates to the "ROS" (Reverse Operatiing System). Basically, according to the manual, when you're cutting and you want to back up, you need to turn the ignition key back one click to the "ROS" position if you want to cut in reverse; then, when you go forward again, it says you need to turn the key back to "Run". Apparently, if you don't turn the key to "ROS" before reversing (and the blades are engaged) then the engine will cut off. This procedure is a small PITA. In the short 15 minutes that I played with the unit yesterday, I dutifully used the "ROS" key postion in reverse...but then did go forward without putting the key back to "Run". Since the unit did indeed go forward (and cut) at the "ROS" position, I'm wondering why I couldn't just leave the key at that spot for both forward and reverse? I don't want to damage anything by going forward with the key in the "ROS" position...

2. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a 06 DYT4000 and it had the same thing. I always left it in the ROS position when I cut and nothing ever happened. I used to get so pissed when I would put the thing in reverse and the engine would stall. That is why I just started to turn the key to that position and leave it.