Craftsman maker questions...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcplace2004, Feb 11, 2007.

1. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Does craftsman make their own lawnmowers, trimmers, blowers, etc? If not, who makes them? Does someone else make them and all Craftsman does is put their name on it? I am sure they make their own tools like drills and wrenches, but what about the lawn equipment?...thanks....

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I don't think sears makes anything of it's own.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Short answer: No.

I believe Fridgeare Manufacturing makes them. Yup the same folks as kitchen appliances. At least it was few years back.

4. dualsmows

dualsmows LawnSite Member

AYP made them several years ago.

5. DAV Mowers

DAV Mowers LawnSite Member

I always thought MTD or Murray made them.

http://www.mtdproducts.com/corporate/index.jsp

They make Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt , Yard-Man , White Outdoor, Yard Machines, and other brands.

http://www.murray.com/

I do remember long ago being able to use parts from Murray that fit Craftsman to a "T".

I have a firend that works at MTD and he will be able to tell me when he answers my email. I'll post in here.

6. DAV Mowers

DAV Mowers LawnSite Member

That was fast. Here's his email to me, remember he works for MTD.

No, Craftsman are made by EHP which is our biggest competition.
    Murray actually sold out last year and oddly enough Briggs & Straton bought them out so our largest engine provider became another compeditor. So now we use mainly Koehler engines.

Honest to God, after getting a Craftsman and tearing it apart and comparing EVERY single piece on it to the pieces we use, ours is a higher quality mower.
    Murray is JUNK and I have said that for years, even before I started at MTD. I worked at walmart and saw what came back from the field, pititful

7. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Does EHP make Poulan products also? I remember looking at Craftsman chainsaws and hedgetrimmers and noticing that they are nearly identical to Poulan products, just a different name and color.

8. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

poulan makes most of there stuff blowers chains saws ect and poulan and huskvarna own poulan I looked at a charpshman zero turn I would not buy one!

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Craftsman products are made by different manufacturers.

Most Craftsman power equipment products are made by HusqvarnaAB. Some recent 2 cycle products are made by MTD. They fall under the McCulloch division I believe, but are MTD underneath.

Also, as for the guy who has the friend that works at MTD, I would expect that he doesn't say anything bad about MTD... but I see more warranty related problems with MTD products than the other brands we are a service center for. Now, I'm not saying MTD is bad or will always be bad, but they need to tighten up their watch on their assy. line workers so they don't produce so much stuff that has problems after only a few hours of use.

BTW, what position at MTD does your friend hold?

10. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

The Craftsman Zero Turn is made by ariens, it's the ariens homeowner Z.