1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Craftsman mower opinion needed! THANKS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Z400ACDC, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Z400ACDC

Z400ACDC LawnSite Member

My brotherinlaw is looking at a new craftsman with a 26hp kohler with a 54" deck. He mows about 5 acres. I first told him to get a ZTR. He said his wife mows most of the time and she did not want a ZTR. I told him that I could mow my 6 acre yard with my Grasshopper in 2-2.5hrs. He said that the tractor mowers should mow as fast because the deck is only 5" less. I told him that the tractor will not mow at 10-11mph. HE IS SET ON A TRACTOR!!!!
    He wants to know the speed of this tractor. I told him maybe 5mph. What is your opinion on this mower?
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Good cut 2mph. go look at simplicity. they have a better cut.
  3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Your brother in law is an idiot. It might mow 5 mph but those thing bog down in a heart beat. It'll take him half a day to cut that. Tell him best of luck.
  4. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

I was at my local dealer looking at ZTR's the other day and I asked hiim how hard he thought it would be to get used to... that's when his 5 year old grandson piped up and told me that he could run one...

If a 5 year old can do it, why can't his wife? ZTR all the way.

The one's I was looking at were the Gravely homeowner line, and I was very impressed with the way they were built... would work very nicely on his 5 acres and don't cost a whole lot more than that craftsman he's looking at.
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If he wants to get a good garden tractor let him its his yard so let him do it the way he wants to. I would however stear him away from craftsman mowers they won't hold up very good over the years. I would advise him to get either Kubota or John Deer they make some of the best tractors in the mowing business, they cost more but well worth it in the long run.
  6. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

and it was five acres of weeds and whatever was growing i'd get a cheap lawn tractor from wherever and one or two of those 60" offset tow mowers from the tractor store. but then again - you'de have about 4K in it (figuring 1,350 each) and you could get a good used Z for that or less - or a new 60" from Lesco for a bout 6,500 - bottom line is anything will work - i was cutting three lawns weekly (about 2.5 to 3 acres total) and opted for a commercial grade 48" walk-behind to replace my 36" craftsman tractor 13 years ago. i have been using it since. i have been cutting part time commercially for the last 4 years, using the same mower to start and purchasing a new Z 2 seasons ago but i still use the 48 on almost every job. what i am saying is a 59 cent screwdriver is just that a 59 cent screwdriver. money well spent is money well spent. and i was kidding about the tow behinds
  7. Z400ACDC

Z400ACDC LawnSite Member

Well, he bought the craftsman. He thought he got a good deal, $2500 OTD. Does anyone have a guess at how fast one of these mowers will go?:confused:
  8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Why don't you cut it for him with your mower you'll make money he wont have to spend for a mower ,its a win win situation

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Most tractor style mowers like that have a forward speed of 5-6 mph and reverse speed of 2.5-3.5 mph. I don't know if that is with the blades engaged or not. I would guess probably not engaged so it may be slightly lower while cutting.

He MIGHT be able to keep up with a walk-behind, speed wise, but there probably wouldn't even be a comparison with the cut quality.
  10. Z400ACDC

Z400ACDC LawnSite Member

I don't want to see him cry like a baby!:cry: