Craftsman mower w/16.5hp kohler broken rod

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by america2002, Jun 21, 2005.

1. america2002

america2002 LawnSite Member

I have a Craftsman riding mower that has a 16.5hp motor, engine model # CV165 that has a broken rod. Does anybody know the cheapest way i can get the parts to fix this, and also a repair manual for this engine ?
    Thanks

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Did it knock a hole in the block when it broke?

If it did, go ahead and get a new engine. If not, you can order parts through www.smallenginewarehouse.com . They seem to be pretty good on prices and excellent on service after the sale if you have problems or questions.

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Buy a new tractor. Crapmans aren't worth fixing. You will have the same in a motor and labor for what you can buy a new one for. But if you are dead set on fixing it. Small engine warehouse is the only choice.

4. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The other thing you can do is to sell the chassis and deck to someone with a good engine. I'd ask something like $150-200 for a good chassis with deck, meaning the body/frame/deck is like new with NO rust, NO dents, and like new paint along with the deck bearings and spindles being in great shape, if the deck is shot, then again, its not going to be worth more than $25-$50. Other than that, you'll only be able to get $50 at most for an average chassis and only $20 at most for a poor condition chassis. I saw a good Statesman chassis go for $220 at auction and it had a rod sticking out the block, but the rest of the machine was in great shape.

See if you can find a lawnmower racing message board, and list yours for sale on it. Those guys are going to build an engine for it anyway so all they would be looking for is a good tranny and deck shell.

5. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

That right. Craftsmans arent worth a crap.. that's why a KOHLER engine tossed the rod. the tractor didnt do it. the engine did.
    at least you can hate on the right company. is that really asking too much?

if you are trying to run a LCO company with a homeowner unit, you can expect problems. if you are a homeowner trying to save some dough and do it yourself, there is nothing wrong with a homeowner unit.

some people......

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

evn with a hole in the block a short block is about 200