craftsman mowers suck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by gosselin142258, May 31, 2008.

1. gosselin142258

gosselin142258 LawnSite Member
    from Mass

yea so i have one w/ a ready start engine and it wont start i pull and pull and pull all it does is shoot out a stream of smoke it's fairly new too. and when i pull it makes a weird sound. i think the crank went.
  2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

thats why i call them crapsman mowers :dancing:
  3. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

ready start huh? take it to a briggs dealer. Its a very cool idea, but I'm not so sure it works all that great. so far 50% of those that I have seen don't work as advertised.
  4. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

5. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

"craftsman mowers suck".............I disagree. Surveys show that Craftsman owners are the happiest mower owners(for the first month of ownership).
  6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

Well i have two a 21" 4.5 hp and a 22" self propelled 6.0 hp both are rear baggers and mulch and both have Brigs & Straton engines and they work great. The 21" i have had since i started lawn care now going on 5 years and thats after i had it for two years prior cutting my own lawn the 6.0 was givin to me from one of my customers two weeks ago, i replaced the plug changed the old fuel and sharpen the blade i can't complain seeing how i only paid $159.00 for the 21" rear bagger, this makes it hard for me to justify paying for a commercial push mower, i'll use them till they die then buy two more.
  7. TheGuy

TheGuy LawnSite Member

I believe the first month of ownership part of this statement.

But on the other hand, every Craftsman mower me, my family, or my friends have had since 2004 has lasted almost exactly 2 years, which ironically is the coverage for the warranty.

Now maybe I may not be "mowing" correctly, but I'm pretty sure it's just that Craftsman decks partnered with Briggs & Stratton motors find every possible corner to cut in design and development. Check out reviews for other Craftsman powered tools, and Briggs powered assemblies. Neither company has an overwhelmingly perfect recommendation.
  8. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

Craftsman people are o loyal. Guy at work has every possible Craftsman tool he can get. He will ONLY look at Craftsman stuff to replace his crappy craftsman stuff when it breaks. He always gets his tires from Sears Auto.
  9. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think it is the mower per se but the engine. I had the same problem with 4 brand new B & S easy start(no choke) push mowers. I had the same issue on both Troy-bilt and craftsman mowers. All 4 new engines did the same thing. They lost compression then wouldn't start. That is why I only buy Honda on push mowers.
  10. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member