Craftsman Mowers???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gatewayuser, May 14, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Craftsman push mowers are they really that bad they seem to cut level and leave stripes well. I kind of feel like a sucker after buying a $700 push mower that breaks all the time.:hammerhead: I think I might go out and buy one their only $300 what do I have to lose only $300.:confused:
    All I use right now is commercial equipment and maybe just maybe some of it is overrated. Besides bigger mowers.

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

There are tons of people on this site that have to feel good about broadcasting the brands of their mowers. I own JD 595 and 495 (both machines cost over $10,000 and in fact are not even rated commercial, although they are tougher than any commercial machine out there. JD must have a reason.)

I have always said, and will say it ONE MORE TIME> Give me a Craftsman, or any other consumer grade mower with sharp blades and a level deck, and I will make a property look pristine. Give me a $10,000 commercial mower - I do not care what brand, - and let me mow with dull blades and an un-level deck and the yard looks like crap.

If the craftsman is big enough for you to get your work done, you suddenly are a better business man than most on this site, because you have minimized your investment and maximized your gross. Thanks, Brad

3. Gatewayuser

Bingo, if you think about it you can buy 2 1/4 for the same price as a comm push mower. Kind of silly when you think about it all of us could possibly be getting ripped off.

4. Flex-Deck

Do not mis understand me - I speciallize in large acreages. For example - two of us mowed 44 acres last wednesday - started at 8:00 AM and were done at 6:09 PM - Had 82 miles of windshield time, - one hr. lunch break, and 4 load and unload deals.

I could not do that with a craftsman. I need my JD's - but if your routes and yards can be done with a craftsman - GO FOR IT> Why whould you want to spent inflated bucks on mowers that some companies are thinking they are worth inflated bucks. (However - Be careful - if you are mowing for 8 hr days 7 days a week, maybe you want to check around. )

5. Gatewayuser

Don't misunderstand me either most of my lawns are over 3 acres some 15+ I would only be using the push mower 1hr a week at the most thats why I don't see spending a lot of money on them anymore. Thanks!:waving:

6. Flex-Deck

Why would you even post the question if you mow that much. Surely you have enough experience to know what to buy - WHY WOULD YOU make me as a lawn site member sit here and make a fool of myself. PLEASE TAKE your next stupid question elsewhere, or better yet, do not ask it on this site.

7. I kinda' agree with gatewayuser and I kind of don't. I wouldn't buy a craftsman. They use Tecumseh engines.
    But what about the Honda's? You can get a homeowner model for something like $3-$400. And their commercial ones are close to a thousand! For what? Steel wheels with ball bearings? Them's some pretty pricy wheels!
    I'll have to disagree with gatewayuser on another matter too. If you're going to buy a computer package...get a Dell.

Dave

8. Flex-Deck

Thanks Dave - I am sitting here wondering -HM What do you want - If you have been in business an are mowing biggggggg properties, you should know what you want- If you do not know by now, you may be in big trouble.......

9. Gatewayuser

I was just asking if its a good idea or not I would only use 1 hr a week UNLESS its as wet as its been this last week when I used it 10+ hrs then it occurred to me I think I got ripped off. Would it last being on the trailer every day thats more what I'm asking.
    NO need to get mean! Just asking an easy question thats all it was more for the craftsman owners. You were Not making a fool of yourself until you made the comment! Take a breath before you type.:waving:

10. Jacob's Yardworks LLC

Jacob's Yardworks LLC LawnSite Member

We got a bunch of 6.5 Craftsman 21'' mowers and they work great. We have done all the maintance on them and have not had a single problem. The oldest one is 4 or 5 years old and still runs and all.