1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

craftsman mowing poorly

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pipe76, Aug 23, 2003.

1. pipe76

pipe76 LawnSite Member

Bought a 17 hp briggs, craftsman mower real cheap, just to get me by until I get My Tiger cub next season, and this is the most awful mower I have ever seen. Not only do i have a new engine leak, the mower is cutting like garbage. No way i can mulch with it, leaves huge paths of clumped grass, when I take mulch cover off it leaves a huge path of cut grass. My friend has a Scott's that mows very well leaving no path of grass, and can mulch very well also. Doesn't seem to matter if I have new blades or not. I was wondering if maybe my rpm's are too low and not chopping the grass up enough,.. I don't know, Anyone else have this problem?
  2. PPLMike

PPLMike LawnSite Member

Are you running the regular blades, or do you got mulching or gator blades on there?
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Real cheap?
    I think you got what you payed for.
    It is running at lower blade speed than a comercial so you can't expect to get a top quality cut.
    Try slowing down and see what happens.
    If it has a discharge chute,and you are running with it down,lift it up.Your tiger cub will show you much different results.
  4. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Yep what do you expect ?
    I have heard sooo many good things about the cubs latley!
    Can't you get the cub sooner?
    Ditch the crafsman!!
  5. pipe76

pipe76 LawnSite Member

I know, I know, Couldn't really expect much, But sometimes you see those old craftsman's trucking along, I'm getting sick of raking, so I think the Cub is coming sooner than I thought!! Thanks for the advice all...

Also yes I do have "craftsman mulching blades" I wonder if I could put commercial quality mulching blades on it if that would make a difference?

.......Think I'll just get the cub!!
  6. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

get a new mower and it doesn't have to be a cub. I think I could mow better and faster with my toro 21" proline. no offence but I now I can beat a Murry that cuts that good. Try slowing down a bit to.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I won't give you flack about the Craftsman and just tell you to go get the Scag. I would think if there was any way you could do that, you would... am I right?

I would say the engine leak probably has something to do with the poor cut. What is it leaking and where?

Now when you are compairing the Scotts mower to yours, it it cutting the same lawn at the same time? Anyways, even after fixing things, you can still expect the cut to be sub-standard to the Scotts. They leave a pretty good cut.

As for the clumping, what is the condition of the grass? Wet, dry, damp, ect... and how much are you trying to take off at one time?

If you prefer to side discharge, pick up a set of gator blades for it and try to find a save way to lift that discharge chute up some so the clippings can really scatter far and wide if the Gators don't completely do the trick.

As for that leak, whatever it is needs to be fixed and while it's in for service, tell them your complaints and ask them if they will check anything else about the mower/engine that conserns you. Stuff like the rpm's can be checked in just a minute.

Good luck to ya!
  8. Dr. Mow

Dr. Mow LawnSite Member

make sure your deck belt is nice and tight, sounds like it may be slipping.
  9. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Just a couple thoughts about buying that Cub.............

-Have you demo'd one yet....... if not.... DO IT!
    then demo others to know if thats the machine for you.....
    if you'll only own one machine, you might consider a WB with
    a sulky of some sort, for more versatility.

-When I bought my eXmark last year, I was shopping for a BP
    blower........... found out I could take the Lazer home in
    August, and not pay anything until April.......... Look into
    financing options at your dealer, and check with other
    dealers also...... My dealer offered me that financing
    package, but another eXmark dealer nearby would not.

As for the Craftsman...... get the new machine, then sell the Craftsman to make a payment or 2, or 3.
    Or get yourself a nice blower for fall cleanups........ they're coming!

Good Luck!