Craftsman Professional ZTR - What do you fellas think?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JPittBoss, Apr 22, 2008.

1. JPittBoss

JPittBoss LawnSite Member
    from Joplin

Whats up guys? What do you think about it? Obviously its manufactured by Bobcat and has Craftsman Pro stickers on it. I'm looking for some non-biased feedback (I'm a L&G sales associate at Sears so thats not easy to come by lol). Is it lame? It's always on sale most of the time for $4,999. 52'' cutting deck, 26HP Briggs engine, double layer of 10 gauge steel on the deck, etc.

[​IMG]

I've read a thread about it on here, but that was before it was released, and before its sale price kicked in(it is originally $6,200), so I know how you guys feel about Craftsman. And obviously i know almost all Craftsman mowers are horse shi t for the work you guys do, but how does this one stand up?

Also, I sold one the other day, and I have a customer interested in upgrading the seat with a better suspension. My local Bobcat dealer hasn't got back to me to let me know if there is anything available, anyone familiar with this? Thanks guys.

2. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

sears does have the "as long as the tool still exist theres a warranty on it" right? hah

3. JPittBoss

from Joplin

lol yeah, only hand tools though obv.

4. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

the way i see it, a regular craftsman lawn tractor couldnt not stand up to the beating of a pro's office not because its a poor machine but because its not designed for it, its desgined for homeowners who love saturdays, which the mower does a good job at. But perhaps this one will also live up to its name and be good at what it is designed for, professional work, im not sure about service with home depot or lowes, but sears services just about everything it sells in its store, one great advantage is that with a lawn care equipment dealer you can get great service (esp if you bought the mower there), so if sears can fix it, id say its worth a shot, a 52" for 5k

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

they could fix it but at what cost? It could be a week or more the way they are. Will they give you a loner?

6. JPittBoss

from Joplin

lol yeah, service isn't as bad as it used to be. they tell me theres about 12,000 technicians now, and that they don't suck AS bad anymore. Sears sells the protection agreements on L&G equipment. All the tractors come with 2 year manufacturers warranty, which is basically ****(only covers defects in assembly, which they determine). The 3-year protection agreement for most bigger models(including this one) is $385. It covers normal wear and tear, anything but abuse actually. it covers belts(and they put them on for you), the engine, busted tires, and gives you discount on noncovered parts like blades.

The best thing about the protection agreement is if you don't like their service, you can get all your money back on it with in the first 2 years of the 3 year agreement, even if you've had them come out 20 times to fix something or replace belts. The same kind of agreements at Lowe's or Home Depot are substantially worse because if you had them work on anything and THEN you cancel the agreement, they deduct the cost of their service from what you paid.

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

So, you're saying here that this mower comes with a 2 year commercial use warranty and that you can buy up to 3 more years commercial use warranty for $385?

8. JPittBoss

from Joplin

actually 2 year manufacturer warranty/1yr commercial use. unfortunately the protection agreement won't cover something thats used commercially, so it obv isn't as valuable to this mower, i was just pointing out that the protection plans are actually worth it because the service isn't as bad as it use to be(it had a really bad reputation apparently), and the fact that its fully refundable in the first 2 years is awesome. Its good for the residential/once a week lawn tractor owner, not for you guys.

9. JPittBoss

from Joplin

something i don't want to get lost....

My customer wants to purchase a full suspension seat for the Craftsman Pro. Anyone familiar with Bobcat and their upgrade features? Bobcats website isn't much help and the dealer hasn't responded to my question. thanks.

10. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Seat part #4122479 should fit the seat pan holes. I would have him go into a CGC dealer and measure the mounting holes on a new unit Mod 942244E. That seat is going to run him $563.00 bones. He should look at aftermarket....................................................