Craftsman professional ztr

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by okieboy, Apr 27, 2008.

1. okieboy

okieboy LawnSite Member

Anybody know much about the Craftsman professional grade ztr? Am looking at this for mowing 2 acres. Supposedly made by Bobcat. Looks heavyduty but has a briggs 26 hp, one of my reservations. Am looking at a Hustler 48" 19hp Kaw for the same price. Some features on both I like better, some not.

2. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

It is a Bobcat unit. If you look at the two you can see they are exactly the same. Only problem I can see with the Craftsman is where are you going to get it fixed?

Stick with a dealer that will service your machine. Particularly when your spending this kind of money.

3. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if you think about it Sears will come to your home to fix the machine if it breaks. You get the extended warranty and Sears does housecalls. Thinking about this now, I would buy one in a minute if I had it to do over again. Never having to load the machine up and taking it in for service could help me on deciding on a machine and supposedly the Bobcat Z is very good mower.

4. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Your exactly right that they will come to your house. One problem that I had with this is that it will take them a couple weeks to schedule the call. Then it will take them a couple weeks to get the part and make it back out to your house. I don't know what kind of experience you have had, but I can tell you that this has been the experience that I have run into. Never again will I buy anything from Sears.

5. okieboy

okieboy LawnSite Member

Yeah, I've heard both ways on the service guys from sears. Although-I have owned 2 craftsman tractors with the extended warranty and have had good luck when they would come out. The other thing is the Briggs 26 extended life engine. A little shaky about briggs, what does anyone think?

6. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

Since it's basically a rebadged Fast Cat, can't you just have a BOB-CAT dealer work on it? This more or less IS a professional duty zero turn, not your typical homeowner grade.

7. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

here's my take; for the $350+ ($384 where i live) extra that you pay for an extended warranty, you can step up to the 54" inch FastTrak. you also get Hustler's factory backed, customer service. you are not caught bw Sears and what ever Bob-Cat dealer they contract with to proved the warranty work. also, the sears warranty says "available" in-home. i'm not sure this means in-home at no charge. when things are vague or have qualifiers like "available", they are that way for a reason; wiggle room. the basic warranty provides some in-home service but does not say "available." why do they say "available" if it is a no-charge feature of the extended warranty? extended warranties often say "three" years, but the first two years are part of the basic warranty and you are essentially paying for only one additional year. i would do some serious fact checking.
    post this question in the Hustler forum and read some what some of the FT owners have to say about their mower and listen to how the factory rep takes care of the problems that arise. it is platinum level service.