1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Craftsman Torque wrench take 2

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by khouse, Dec 5, 2006.

1. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Well my call for action new channel said that they were going to contact me three times. They never did. They must be in with Sears. So today I took my two broken wrenches in to another Sears store for exchange. They as all the rest said they weren't covered after calling the Sears main office. I said to call the manager of the store. He did and told me that they were not going to cover them. The clerk said that's all I can do. So I said do you have the district managers number. He said yes and called him. He must have been aound my age and said he remembered that the early torque wrenches WERE covered for lifetime but the new ones were not. He asked the clerk for the model #'s of my two and said give him two new ones. I walked out of there with these two babies. All I can say is don't let Sears or any other company back out of a warranty. I spent countless hours on this. I'm just glad I got them before Sears goes out of business. That could be sooner than later.

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

its always good to keep the reciepts with warrenties together we have one folder jsut for warrenty info i know it was a long time ago so its alright im glad you got them covered
  3. khouse

I was just lucky to find somebody that could remember the mid 70's
  4. DBL

yeah thats a long time to keep track of a peice of paper with a warrenty like that on it. havent you been trying to get these things warrentied for a while now
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Glad to hear you finally got some justice. :clapping:
  6. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

when i first read you're thread back when i was sure they were gonna screw ya .well good for you its about time.attaa boy stick it to em:laugh:
  7. khouse

I know these are Crapsman torque wrenches - and now only carry a one year warranty. But they're new! I'm really not an a$$ hole but what's right is right. When Kohler told me for months that the clicking lifters in the Command was normal I said now wait a minute. I let them know that I knew better. Soon after a brand new Command Pro was waiting for me. And installed for free. It runs great! I'm not saying I'm perfect but stand behind all my work. Usually it's the part not the workmanship that's goes bad.
  8. DBL

i never really said this in my two above posts but good for you you knew it and you got it i never heard the story about the kohler but you seem to stick by what you know and thats good
  9. khouse

You don't have to be a mechanic to know that noisy hydraulic lifters is not normal. All I told them was "so you would drive your new car with noisy lifters and that would be OK?"
  10. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

I've had one of those for a good twenty-some years now. There is a problem with them not clicking if you don't hold it just right. I loaned it to a freind for torqing aluminum rods on a racing engine "when wrench was new" and he ended up ruining some rods. It became common knowledge in the racing community not to use them. You got to let off of it and reapply force to see if it has reached the desired torque. If you just try to torque something in a steady pull....it can over torque before clicking.