Craftsman Tractor Mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by McMurray, May 14, 2008.

1. McMurray

McMurray LawnSite Member

I have a 2006 Craftsman Tractor Mower. I will mow good until it gets hot, then it will not pull, engine runs fine and mower runs good but will not pull, then when you put it in reverse it will not move. After it gets hot and you start down a grade it will coast as though its in nuetral, it has electric clutch and automatic transmission . Its a Briggs and Stratton 22 HP only 2 years old. After it set for a while you can mow again until it gets hot then same problem exist. Drive belt seems tight when problem arises.

Mack

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

If the machine has a hydro trans on it, I'd say the hydro unit is getting hot. This can be due to the fan on it being gone or in some state of destruction. It can be (and this is the normal thing) that the hydro unit needs to have the oil in it changed. Some of the lawn tractor hydros do not have any access or easy access to change the fluid.

I bought myself a nice 2005 model Craftsman with a hydro that sat under salt water for 3 days after hurricane Katrina. Paid $100 for it. The engine was toast but the rest of the tractor was easy to patch up and make work. The trans worked great for about 6 months then it got to where (during the summer) after about 45mins of mowing it would stop moving. I had to pull the trans off the machine to get the fluid out. But either way, I put fresh oil in trans and last time I talked to my Xwife it's still working just fine. And God knows if it wasnt, she would have certainly told me about it.