Craftsman trimmer spark plug had oil on it when removed?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by akgarrett62, Jul 1, 2008.

1. akgarrett62

akgarrett62 LawnSite Member

it shouldn't have oil on threads and spark end when i pull it out should it? does this mean something bigger is going on inside the motor

2. akgarrett62

and it won't start AT ALL...like there's no spark.

3. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

If it's been sitting for a while, the gas will evaporate and all you will have left is oil.

Confirm that there is, or is no spark before going further.

If there is no spark, or you need to work on this unit, consider how much you're willing to spend on repair vs. replacement.

4. akgarrett62

let me ask you, how do i confirm that there is or isn't a spark?

also, is there supposed to be any fluid on the spark plug no matter what it is?

5. jkason

Take the plug out, put it in the end of the wire, ground the plug to the head (away from the spark plug hole) and look for spark. Don't get your fingers near the wire - stings a little. and don't put your face in front of the hole where the spark plug goes, it might shoot out fuel/oil mix.

Not heavy, thick fluid.
    A residue of burnt fuel is normal, though, after it has been running.

6. akgarrett62

man that's some great info! thanks.

7. jkason

No problem.
    Leaving work shortly.
    Will check the forum when i get home.

8. akgarrett62

checked last night and didn't have a spark. went by napa on way home but they didn't have the plug in stock. so i'll get one today and see how that goes.

can i spray something like carb cleaner or something else into the spark plug hole to get rid of that fluid in there?

9. jkason

Yes. Use as little as possible. It's a grease cutter, and removes the lubricating oil from the cylinder walls.

10. akgarrett62

been offline a few days (update) ...changed spark plug and now have spark. so i can get it to crank, but it quits after a few seconds. when i start it, of course i hold the throttle when starting, but whether i let go after it starts or hold it in, it still quits. trimmers are the tool i am least familiar with...so, do they usually have a fuel filter?...also, is the carb accessible on them so i can clean it?

my guess it's one of those two hopefully.