Craftsman v. Stihl

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cuttinitclose, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

PLEASE READ B4 REPLYING! Which one of these would be better for me? I thinking the craftsman because it will have a 5 year warranty v. a 1 year for the stihl. I looked at it today and I really like it. I plan on looking at the stihl in a couple weeks. I know stihl would most likely be your pick but remember I don't mow more than 7 a week. I truly don't think it weighs 20 pounds. I like the stihl because you can buy other attachments for it. Price is kinda a factor. I have had good luck with craftsman but also know stihl is more commercial rugged. The dealer and sears is both about 30 miles away. Honest opinion please! It would not be my only trimmer if it broke down.

Craftsman #79191
    Product Overview:
    Brush Cutter Displacement: 29 cc
    Cutting Swath: 14 in. swath
    19.0 lbs.
    General Warranty: 2 years (Would also purchase extra 3 year warranty)
    Motor-Engine:
    Displacement: 29 cc
    Type: 4-cycle
    Has Primer Bulb: Yes
    Speed Capability: Variable
    Line:
    Line Replacement Requirement: Tool-less
    Line Diameter: .095 in.
    Trimmer Line Exit: Dual
    Line Feed: Bump
    Controls, Safety:
    Safety Override: Yes
    Construction:
    Shaft: Straight
    Handles:
    Aux. Handle Type: D grip
    Total Price:$245

STIHL FS 90R
    Displacement: 28.4 cc
    Engine Power:1.27 bhp
    Weight: 11.7 lbs.
    Fuel Capacity: 18.0 oz.
    Warranty: 1 year
    Total Price $330

2. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

Hey Brother,

I read your equipment list, I think it's time to up grade to commercial grade stuff. Pay now or Pay later. You will be much happier with commercial grade equipment. Ryobi and craftsman are considered home owner level gear. Nothing bad to start with, but at some time you need to bump up to a commercial level.

Just my 2 cents, but I like the Stihl. On the extended warranty, if they find out you used it commercially, it will void the warranty

3. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i know that the craftsman stuff has a 5 year warranty but it will probably be in the shop every month. The STIHL is very dependable and will not need service. ive had STIHL equipment for 4 or 5 years now without one single problem. it may cost a little more but it will pay off in the long run for you to buy the STIHL

4. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

I plan on donating the ryobi to school for ag class. Yeah I was afraid of someone saying that they would void the warranty. I need something that will be easy to start, considering they are all switching over to the 4 cycle. (I'm not a real big kid) I was also considering the FS 56RC-E since it has easy 2 start, but it is also not commercial. I don't know what to buy!:dizzy: THANKS FOR EVERYBODYS HELP, I know I can be annoying with all the questions!!

5. Nick's Lawn Care

Nick's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

You can not beat the reliability of the stihl. Just by the good stuff now so you don’t have to buy it down the road. It will be cheaper to buy the stihl, honestly if you have a good dealer you don’t really need a warranty.

Nick

6. Please_Be_Green

Please_Be_Green LawnSite Member

I have a 12 year old 2-cycle craftsman trimmer... and while it works it's not anything compared to the Stihl Kombi.

Honestly, I think either or will get the job done.

I also agree with your thoughts on warranty, but I ask... When was the last time you used a warranty on anything?

7. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Your mind is made up so really you are looking for one person to validate your opinion. You are foolish to use non commercial equipment for this business. Crapsman is rated at about a half hour a week for about 28 uses per year. Now go tell the guy at sears i cut 7 yards a week for extra income and see what the warranty is. How about 90 days.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

8. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

Look at the Kombi line from Sthil, you can get the trimmer head now and add on as you grow. Then you have one great power head. I like the 110, You can get stick edgers, pole saw, all kinds of great gear.

You sound like a great guy, spend a little more now to avoid headaches later. No problem starting if you follow good maintenance and you have room to grow

9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl...there is no question about it. My FS100RX starts in usually 1-2 pulls, very easy. A stihl will last you 10x longer than a craftsman. And if you have to have it repaired, a dealer will do it and not sears, who has to send it out-very time consuming.

10. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

years and years ago when i first started out, i had the crapsmen stuff cuz thats what i had for my own personal use at my house. i started using that stuff in the business and about 6 months later, the crapsman stuff was junk! went to stihl and never looked back!