Craftsman will go in Reverse but wont go Forward?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Whitaker24, May 25, 2008.

1. Whitaker24

Whitaker24 LawnSite Member

Craftsman Riding Mower Model # 917.272264 its about 4 years old. Cutting yesterday started hearing a grinding sound, but cut almost 2 yards before mower finally just when i press the forward pedal it wont go, but if i press the rear pedal it will go backwards just fine. Ive tried purging but still nothing we took back wheels off an keys seemed to be alined. Im stumped now can anyone help me? Thanks.

2. Whitaker24

Craftsman help needed

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Did you call Sears yet?

4. Whitaker24

Figured there wouldnt be any use to since its about 5 years old. Ive called about stuff in the past and it was like pulling teeth, they didnt put the lights in the mower when it was assembled told me to take it to place i bought it from an they would fix it when i got there the owner said i dont know anything that after 45 minutes of bickering i went to auto zone and got the part an put it in myself for less than sears wanted for 1.

5. Whitaker24

Called Sears wanted to send tec guy out for a min. $100 charge my brother usually fixes it cause we is a car repair man, sears told me that they didnt have anyone to help with tec support over the phone. I cancelled the appointment if i cant get it fixed ill just use that $100 for a down payment on a new zero turn mower.

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Which is kind of what I was getting at, "sears told me that they didn't have anyone to help with tec support over the phone" . Which, while I do not know your situation, is why people should never bother buying stuff from Sears that they intend to have working. If you're going to buy something that you will need to depend on, buy it from a dealer that is going to be around and able to answer questions like this when you have them. I surely can't believe anybody is going to go and buy those new "professional" mowers from Sears, when Sears can't even put you through to a tech in their 1,200 technicians employed centers to help answer a question over the phone.

"Service after the sale, it's not just a dealer slogan, it's a reality."

7. Whitaker24

Wife bought it as a wedding gift and i was cutting about 5 yards with it when she bought it an working full time, but ill never buy anything like that again from sears even the belts are a rip off $4o for each belt!!!!!!!! Thats also why im thinking of going to a local toro dealer an buy next one from them cause they service what they sale. Had same experience from Home depot bought a weed eater not long after pull cord came out HD wanted me to pay $60 to have it fixed it only cost $100 on sale. Left it with them called wanting me to come get it an i said NO im not paying for warranty repairs that i didnt authorize the cost they told me if it was less than $65 they didnt need me to authorize it, after about a week manager called said come get it no charge, which i did used it 2 times same thing happened i called company sent me to local service center fixed it for $25 an its worked ever since.

8. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

Craftsman that is almost 5 years old. Count your blessings that it still moves(even if it's just in reverse). Sounds like it might be time to upgrade.

9. Fisher40037

Fisher40037 LawnSite Member

Sounds like you just have a stuck brake.

Fish

10. Whitaker24

Stuck brake? I dont know when I used it this past Saturday it was like the mower would pull up a hill but would go in neutral an roll, then I would have to let off an press the forward pedal back in an it was like it like a car clutch where it doesnt catch till the bottom then it would go an make a "noise" I cut until finall when i pressed the forward pedal it wont go at all.