1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Craftsman ZTR

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by vettenuts, Sep 18, 2004.

1. vettenuts

vettenuts LawnSite Member

Hi, our local Sears has their ZTR marked down from $3,800 to $2,800 trying to clear the store for winter. Does anyone know who makes this and what the quality is on this unit? I don't see them discussed much on this forum.
  2. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Go back and read what you typed, and that is probably why you dont' see them discussed much. Probably the same where Dixon falls.. I believe they are considered more of a residential users mower, and many LCOs wouldn't think of spending the money on something that in all likelihood wouldn't stand up to 8 or 10 hour days 6 days a week.
  3. GardenofWeeden

GardenofWeeden LawnSite Member

Craftsman ZTR and all Craftsman equipment are mainly for residential use. Kohler is contracted with Craftsman for thier larger tractors. The specifications are very similar to the bigger corporations. However, if mowing is only part of your cash flow, I would count on it for exactly what it is made to do...residentials.
    We started with Craftsman when I could only afford a Ford Ranger, flyers for advertisement, insurance that was more than I was making and the Sears special ZERO percent financing.
    Today, with the help of Craftsman, I secured contracts and increased cash flow, marketed my willingness to venture capitalist who have 'donated' to the business and brought a means to finance for the future and better equipment.
    Not sure what you are doing to suggest a Craftsman ZTR, but in business if you can't afford to invest a major portion of cash into capital, you can finance your future with a little help from Sears.
    P.S. We still have the Craftsman...preventive maintenance is key, but I can't expect it to finance my future with workload I have today.
  4. vettenuts

vettenuts LawnSite Member

This would be for strictly residential use, not professional.
  5. GardenofWeeden

GardenofWeeden LawnSite Member

Yes, the craftsman is not our professional choice at this point in our business, but it did help when money was tight. Craftsman does not offer commercial warranty hence the reason we have since moved on. Residential use could be fine, check out the stats on the engine, servicing and cost of replacing necessary items. ZTR for residential use is quite expensive. Maybe hire a local landscaper to see the cost of grounds maintenance vs. the ZTR.
    Just a though.