Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hockeypro1411, Apr 19, 2008.

1. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

so i got this craftsman outdoor products catalog yesterday. as im looking through it i see a commercial 36 inch mower for 2500 bucks. i have a 20 inch craftsman that we neven changed the oil in for 14 years and it ran great. has anyone had any experience with larger craftsman mowers? thanks!
  2. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen the catalog with Sears new 36" walkbehind. Don't buy it! The price is way too high. While it is (minimal) commercial quality, it is a low-end mower for a high-end price. It looks similar to Redhawk brand mowers which used to sell for about $1700. For $2500 you could get a 36" belt-drive Exmark, Ferris, Wright, etc. mower with a 15 hp Kawasaki twin instead of a 12.5 hp Briggs single cylinder engine, heavier duty spindles and deck construction, and the backing of commercial dealer for parts, warranty service, etc. Or else, you can buy a simliar mower and save $800. I do not know if Redhawk still makes the 36" with the briggs engine, but a quick search revealed a 32" for $1550 (see: ). Also look at Encore equipment. A few years ago they had a sub-$2000 belt-drive Briggs powered 36" walkbehind that looked to be of better quality than the Craftsman.
  3. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

NEVER changed the oil in 14 years? WOW, this not the forum to be bragging about equipment abuse:hammerhead:
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I am not a believer in getting a cheap ZTR. I would much rather have a used piece of commercial equipment. The pumps and motors just won't hold up and probably cost just as much to fix among other things.
  5. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

My stepson only add oil when the oil light came on in his toyota, then he add 3 quart at a time!!!!! Oil is always fresh and never need changing, it is more efficient!!!!! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Just last week I asked him " Did you change oil in your lawn mower we gave you 5 years ago?" He said " What do you mean about changing oil!!"
  6. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

The 36" Craftsman WB is overpriced. But their 33" WB priced at 999$ is a good mower for smaller yards and as a backup. If you want electric start and hour meter, get the 33" Cub, they are the same mower. If these mowers are not your primary machine, you should get a few years out of them. I use mine for 6 small yards weekly, where my larger WB would be too much of a hassle.