1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Craigslist ads

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DK lawn care, Apr 21, 2008.

1. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys think about them? I posted one tonight. Do they get some responses?
  2. ACE_Lawn_Care_NJ

ACE_Lawn_Care_NJ LawnSite Member

I'd say you've got nothing to lose since it's free! I am just starting up and I have bought and sold stuff locally in the NJ and Philadelphia area using craigslist for years. I bought my 36" Ferris there, as well as all my rack stuff (guy was going out of biz) and numerous other things. It's saved me a ton, and none of the bidding nonsense like ebay, which is important when you need to get out and cut!
  3. ACE_Lawn_Care_NJ

ACE_Lawn_Care_NJ LawnSite Member

Oh yeah- I forgot! I bought my 18' 10000# enclosed trailer on craigslist too. It was a steal at $3400. Whatcha sellin? :)
  4. DK lawn care

I posted a ad to advertise my work.
  5. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

I've used it before and got nothing but cheap asses. It's good for buying and selling stuff but all my calls for work were from people who wanted to either pay me hourly or wanted a $20.00 cut every two weeks.
  6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I posted a ad on Craigslist. I'd be happy to get 1 customer at this point.
  7. Marek13

Marek13 LawnSite Member

My experience with Craigslist was not so good -lot of people looking for freebies. One thing that worked for me was placing fliers with business cards or one of those fliers with you phone number where people can tear if out one by one -I put them in supermarkets, parks(most of out parks here have community post board) (not sure if your supermarkets have something like that) also had some kids had out fliers in front of New York sports club(fitness center) (tremendous response) just make sure that they give them out to leaving customers - otherwise people will start throwing them out and you will get call from management
  8. DK lawn care

marek, how many customers did u get from that? Ive done that to.
  9. woodbutcher44

woodbutcher44 LawnSite Member

I use craigs list.I usualy get clean up calls, but this past friday I got 3 seperate accounts for regular mows all with in 6 blocks of one another and only 8 miles from home.
  10. DK lawn care

Thats awesome. Hopefully i have the same luck as you do.