Craigslist Advertising

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Icemanku, Feb 2, 2008.

?

Craigslist.com

1. Yes, I've used it, but stopped due to no results

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Yes, I still use it and it helps

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. No

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. Icemanku

Icemanku LawnSite Member

Do any of you get results with craigslist or is it a waste of time?

2. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

its great for buying and selling stuff

never had much luck selling services

i heard the girls selling boom boom make out ok

Nate

3. john3253

john3253 LawnSite Member

This is brought up a lot. It's free so it can't hurt to try. Do a search and you can find many threads about craigslist.

4. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Love craigslist very much, could find great deals from some not so smart people or sell stuff really quick

Last week I sold my brothers piece of crap work truck
    99 f-150 hit in the front and side, had a ladder rack and steal tool box with 205K miles for 1600.
    within three hours of listing it we had 14 calls and the first guy came and got it.

But I've heard from many people that there thinking of maybe starting a selling fee so who knows.

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I have had pretty good success with craigslist. I'd say that only 1 out of every 8 or 9 inquiries I get from craigslist are just worthless. Maybe I'm just lucky...

6. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I just picked up an a spring cleanup with mowing and snow removal for this year. Not bad for free.

7. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive placed one ad and got a cleanup job and I just gave an estimate yesterday to someone. Doubt they will accept the price but I still got that one cleanup which was well worth my 20 seconds to list an ad.

8. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

The poll needed this option - Yes, I use it, but have not seen any results.

9. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Craigslist is how I started up.

I started this on a whim, posted an ad on craigslist before I even had a truck or the equipment. I had three customers waiting for service when I drove with my girlfriend to meet my mother halfway to borrow our old Ford Ranger for a bit for the work. Dropped by a pawn shop and picked up some cheap equipment and took care of my three new customers the next day! Thats how it all got started :)

I still use craigslist to this day. Careful for the penny pinchers though. Make sure to put your minimum rate there so you dont get a bunch of BS pita calls thinking they are getting $15 lawn care.

I've always had my CL ad linking to my website, so that has helped a bit too. I think people prefer to just click on a link and submit their info for an estimate rather than calling up a bunch of people. Just my opinion.

To make this answer short.... Craigslist is effective, only if you live in one of the top 27 cities.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I used it once, but the best answer is No

I always figured it was something about classifieds in general or something to do with getting what you pay for, but this sums it up:

I'd have to guess that's what people thought when they were reading my ad, and I'm not saying I'm the brightest cup on the shelf, but when a customer already thinks this of me it doesn't help at all.