Craigslist Deal. New Trailer

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Mikol87, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Mikol87

Mikol87 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I found this on Craigslist. It is a utility trailer from a business in Muscatine, IA. It sounds really cheep and I know he is negiotable on a cash sale. The only thing not new are the tires. All the other 16X7 utility trailers I've seen have been well over $2,000. Does this seem to good to be true?:confused:

http://iowacity.craigslist.org/grd/2212741895.html

2. newjerseylandscaping

newjerseylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive seen these for around that price here in jersey.

3. M RASCOE&SONS

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like a good deal!

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you have to buy four new wheels with tires. is going to cost you 400 dollars so the deal is not so good

5. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

wheels are new on the trailer, so it would just need tires, however i imagine the ones on there would last for a year or so

6. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Only has brakes on one axle and has used tires. Around here a brand new trailer the same size but with new tires and brakes on both axles runs about $2500-2700.

I would not buy it.

7. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I also realized it only has a 2 piece tounge. On a trailer that size I prefer a 3 piece tounge.

8. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

Trailer prices are different in every area of the country. I would say it is a good deal. Go ahead and offer him cash price and see what he says. If you believe it's a scam, call the number. Scams never put a phone number in the ad.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I would say not a scam. Guy's from Iowa - straight shooters down there.
    Not dealing with east/west coasters.

10. Mikol87

Mikol87 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Definitely doubt it’s a scam. I was just wondering what the catch was. 2 piece tongue, only brakes on one axel, used tires, etc.

I'm sure the tires are in descent shape. Not all used tires are bald. The crappy ones become playground chips. I can get a new set of tires for around $200.

As far as the brakes, how necessary are they? I've seen allot of dealers say brakes are optional. Is there a law governing brakes on trailers?

What exactly is the difference with the 2 piece tongue and the 3?

Thanks again for the help.