1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Craigslist Stihl FS85

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Mac B., Jun 16, 2008.

1. Mac B.

Mac B. LawnSite Member

I bought a FS85 today that was on Craigslist and it is a piece of crap. It will not run unless you have the choke 3/4 on and then will not idle only run wot.Has anyone had this problem or know a fix for it?

Thanks Mac
  2. Itzkcatz

Itzkcatz LawnSite Member
    from CT

So you didnt wanna test it before you bought it? sounds like the carb is clogged
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

is it an older machine? did it have fuel in it? do you know how long it had been sitting around? If it has been sitting around with fuel in it for a year or so, chances are that you can dump what's in it, put in fresh mix and start it. It wtill won't run 100%, but let it sit a few days. The new fuel in the carb and lines should dissolve any minor build-up and it should run like new.

I wouldn't give this advice if it hadn't worked for me.
  4. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

5. Mac B.

Mac B. LawnSite Member

The man I got it from cranked it. He told me that he had mowed with it that morning. It did not want to crank but finally did. I only have $50 in it and don't want to have anymore in it than I have to. The local mechanic told me that the early carbs were junk and that the best thing to do was upgrade to the newer carb for the FS85.

6. bullrake

bullrake LawnSite Member

I have an FS80 that every couple of years throws the same tantrum. Mine always turns out to have the same problem: sucking air in the fuel line. Try replacing the fuel lines, cheap easy fix.
  7. David Thompson

David Thompson LawnSite Member

I tend to go with what I call the "shotgun" approach. It sound like a fuel problem to me so I would change both fuel lines and the filter and then clean the carb and install new air filter. While I am at it I usually put in a fresh plug and make sure the fuel cap does not leak or suck air. All of this usually does it unless the machine has air leaks around the cylinder base gasket or the crankshaft seals and the only sure way to determine that is to do the leakdown test.
  8. mchildress

mchildress LawnSite Member

I have a FS85 that has performed excellent for almost 10 years. Have only fed it fuel,string,and greased the the head yearly. She is still running the original spark plug.