Craigslist Yard from Hell.

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Ormond32176, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Ormond32176

Ormond32176 LawnSite Member

He already paid cash up front for the next month, I have $3 and some time invested in it (my time currently=$0/hr). So I'm really not sure where I lost money on this deal.

2. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I was the king of grown up nightmares, i actually had lcos taking pics of me mpwing the yards when they drove by with my $13000 grasshopper. I hit a trailer with 5 ft ramp gate up on one yard cause you couldnt see it, and i gasped a little when i saw $50... i do $30 lot grown up for $90 mow and light trim only, but they had 8 i could do by myself in one day, and i was dirt cheap in oklahoma poorest per houshold income in nation i believe, or square mile one...

3. TJW_692

TJW_692 LawnSite Member

so you got 50 bucks for that one time?

4. GreenGuysLC

GreenGuysLC LawnSite Senior Member

I am not following I guess.... he paid your mowing fee for the month.. but according to your $25 price per cut you indicate you usually charge... that is maybe a $100 bill..... but you have already admitted you would charge $250 for the cleanup.... SO.... now you have done the $250 clean up... plus the next four cuts he has paid you for....at $25 each. That would be $350 in my pocket.... And You are saying $3..... and $0 for your labor.... I don't work for free. And if you truly figure your cost.... it goes much deeper than the $3 in gas you spent. Count the life of your mower.. belts, blades, oil, tires, trimmer string, trimmer oils, filters, INSURANCE, etc... your cost is way more than $3. I am not trying to bash .... but rather help you realize... you wont be around long doing this... get a handle on what it takes to make money... not just thinking you are... I promise.. if you sit down and really look at the bottom line... you will see....

5. TJW_692

TJW_692 LawnSite Member

For me i would have charged about 60 or more for that. Just one time.

6. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hah I'm sure he's thinking about his insurance, tax, and equipment depreciation. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: it's included in his $25 service

7. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Just go to the dealer and start one. You'll see the difference, right away. They move a huge volume of air, as the fan is way bigger than what's in a handheld unit.

8. Ormond32176

I meant the demos. I've used backpack blowers before. I was just wondering if you had to put down a deposit, or credit card, or something elsewhere before they turn you loose with their equipment.

9. Ormond32176

It's a lot harder to grow a customer base without customers than it is with them. Try being 18 again with an old lawn tractor, a 13 year old truck, and a utility trailer trying to charge top professional rates for a 2 hour job in the middle of a low income neighborhood and tell me how successful you are. You have to start somewhere and If I listened to people like you, I would have spent that day sitting on my ass doing nothing, instead of being outside and proving my abilities and attempting to establish a business. That costs a lot more than knocking down some weeds. I already have funds saved for wear and tear and know more goes into it than $3 for gas. Every little use degrades equipment a little bit more, but that's why you buy decent stuff and perform this thing called routine maintenance.

Honestly, I feel like I spend more time defending myself on this forum than I do learning how to run a business.

And you can try ragging on a $25 service, but when you don't know the lawn, the area, or anything about the local pricing, you're just going to make yourself look like an ass. Good job.

10. TJW_692

TJW_692 LawnSite Member

i would rather do the job for 25 bucks then walk away cause they can't afford me. 25 bucks is better than going back home for nothing. at that price you can just enjoy the cutting and see the yard transform into nicely cut. that 25 bucks is gas for the machine and your truck.

you can make money when the guy is impressed and you have him as a steady customer.