Craigslist Yard from Hell.

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Ormond32176, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I rather walk away go trim shrubs If had to mow lawns for 25
    I was at 25 for lawns but that was in the 80s
    I have family down there and they tried luck in mowing They said was to hard to make a good living The market was bad
    They told me it wasnt nothing to see 50-75 different mowing crews each day

2. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure, about your area. But, I buy all my stuff from two places and they're lenient, with me. They know if I'm there looking at a piece of equipment, chances are I'm buying.

Keep plugging away! This country needs more guys like you.

3. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

IMAG0420.jpg IMAG0421.jpg One I did last week.

IMAG0420.jpg

IMAG0421.jpg

4. Ormond32176

Ormond32176 LawnSite Member

Looks good. I'm surprised you didn't use a tractor or a rough cut at first. You just went slow and the mower handled it all fine?

And for anyone still trying to figure out my pricing, it was $50 for the first knock down and $100 paid up front for the next month. Once it's back down to the 15 minute typical yard, it will be at the exact price a pro would charge. I know because I've worked with pros and have seen what they do and what they charge in this area.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  5. RSLM&LS

RSLM&LS LawnSite Member

I second that. I don't do anything for free.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  6. Ormond32176

It wasn't free... What I mean by $0/hr is that I had nothing else going on that even had the chance to yield a profit while I was working on this. If I wasn't working on this property, I would have been making $0/hr. I wouldn't have been working on a $70 cut, or anything else at this time.

7. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry if I hurt your feelings :cry::cry:

Grow up and run your business like an adult. If you want to be successful then maybe you should take a step back and listen to what we are giving u **** for. When I was 18 I had a BUSINESS. You are just some kid with a mower running around and low balling bids to make a quick buck. Get a license, pay your taxes, and then you might get some respect.

8. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

$210.00 Took 3 hours with my 2004 36" Lesco mower

P7310203.jpg

P7120135.jpg

P7120138.jpg

P7310204.jpg

P7310205.jpg

P7310208.jpg

9. Ormond32176

I don't know how I am low balling bids when there are no other bidders. These are lawns that have had people come out for an estimate and walked away from. Basically, I'm doing the crap work that you guys don't want to do, so that I can afford to get licensed, insured, and do it right when the time comes. It would be borderline stupid for me to spend over $1000 on setting a business up as an llc, getting a $1m insurance policy and business licenses etc., before even knowing if the area is too saturated to even get a single lawn. I'm not stepping on anyone's toes, and am open to constructive criticism, but straight up insults piss me off a little bit.

Wildstarblazer, that looks like it came out really well.

10. RSLM&LS

RSLM&LS LawnSite Member

you wouldn't have been doing anything else?? It doesn't matter what you would have been doing had you not been on the job. It is that mentality that people will exploit you for. It doesn't matter whether you could be doing a $700 job or a $10 job or playing Xbox live. Your time on a job needs to come with a price. You need to protect your person because no one else is going to.