Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by yardsurfer, Jun 17, 2008.

1. yardsurfer

yardsurfer LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

A good source for work? What do you guys usually say on your postings? I'm trying to get ideas. My mind is a blank right now.
  2. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Tell it like it is let them know your a legit company that carries GL insurance and is workman comp exempt or insured, let them know your not a fly by night company! I listed a few months ago on orlando craigs list and got some work from it. Try finding one of my old ads and get some pointers from it. Good luck!

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know how well it works for advertising, but I put a help wanted up and I got about 20 calls and emails in about 4 days. I actually found my current worker on there and he is great.
  4. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

Ive posted adds on there twice and I got one call back, the guy was a real estate investor so hopefully ill be able to grab some more accounts from him
  5. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Its great but most people on there are looking for sheap work, but it does generate some good clients
  6. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

just puts as much info & what services you offer on there.if it doesn't work try it again
  7. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

"Will beat your current provider by $1"
  8. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Corection "Chep" Work
  9. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

I would put "Will cut any lawn...regardless of size....$5.00." That seems to be what everybody else is putting on their ad.
  10. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I've said this for every person that has ever asked about craigslist. Make sure that you show your minimum price right from the get go so that you don't get the penny pinchers off of there.

Now... All these guys bitching and moaning about the cheapskates on craigslist just haven't tried it long enough, or haven't tried it since last year. Craigslist is growing more and more and isn't just a classified's site.

Google crawls craigslist like crazy and if you put in the right words, your ad can very well show up on the first page of google's search results for "lawn service" "lawn care" etc. Mine sure hits it from time to time. Also, as craigslist becomes more and more popular, I have noticed a decline in the customers looking for cheap work. Putting your price on your ad eliminates most of those responses anyhow. Here is what mine looks like:

I get a lot of work from craigslist, sure there's a lot of guys saying $20 for any lawn, but I know from experience, they dont last very much longer than a month so who really cares?

Bottom line, Craigslist is free, it generates work, and no one ever said you had to go after EVERY lead you get. If you know they're cheapies, don't do the work. Problem solved. Personally, I post twice, sometimes three times a day. I dont know whats wrong with these other guys ;)