Crane collapse

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcat_ron, Mar 11, 2010.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Whoops :dizzy:

It looks like they were rigging up the boom on the other crane not sure why they were lifting the crane boom with another crane. First mistake the crane that was lifting the end of the boom was too close and boomed up too far.

Where was a safety line from the top of the gantry on the other crane to the boom. Things should never be hanging from a crane when all your depending on is a brake.

3. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

WOW!!! Some serious bent metal there. Anyone die?

4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

that reminds me of some kids' erector set. I hope nobody got hurt. I wonder how many $$$ it will take to repair. That was crazy but it seems like at least here in the US there have been more crane accidents in recent years.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

The crane to the right was not boomed up too far, if anything he had much more to go. I would imagine that all they were attemping to accomplish was to hold the position that they were in before it went so they could attach boom lines to the big crane as it appears they were getting it setup. Clearly the drum gave out, if you look you can see a cloud of smoke to the right edge of the screen.

6. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant LawnSite Senior Member

******' crane boys, always screwing around.

7. RedRebel

RedRebel LawnSite Member

It looked like the crane on the right was boomed up too much to me.... They were in the process of either raising the boom on the left one or attaching the gantry lines. Cranes with that big of stick dont have to power to raise them on their own from level.. When you are boomed so far up, and so high, it will not tip, something else will give way before the crane will tip because all the weight transfer occurs in the centerpin of the crane. If he was boomed further out, it probably wouldnt have had catostrophic failure like that...

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

man what a mess
    scary ****

9. ioilyouin

ioilyouin LawnSite Senior Member

WOW. That's a bad day at work.