Lawn Care Forum banner

crank timing gear split

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Sharpcut 1 
#1 ·
any of you other mechs ever seen this???--this is on a 20 horizontal v twin---quit, guy brought in. nother guy working on it. i told him i thought broke cam--pulled the cover----low and behold, the crank gear is split!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how to get it indexed back in the right place???--kohler

#5 ·
hello ,
as far as i am awhere kohler did have an issue with the press on gears some time ago but it appears the problem has never left us . very dissapointing .
The press on gear method is to reduce costs .
Add this in with other cheap manufacturing techniques that appear on the v twin and well ,lets just say diesel is my preference .Most of the breakdowns on a kohler can be put down to very cheap design . sad but true

tomo:waving:

#6 ·
I had 2 different customers this happened to this year. One was a 28EFI on a Lazer, one was a 25 Carb on a lazer. 1000-1250 hours. Both split the crank gear. You MUST replace the cam also, ask me how I know:hammerhead: there is no key on the crank, so you have to buy the whole crankshaft. Both my customers were out of warranty, both engines were built in early 2005.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.