1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Crank with a worm gear???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by diggerdave65, Nov 1, 2007.

1. diggerdave65

diggerdave65 LawnSite Member

Hi guys--- I have a Kohler (horiz shaft, Spec 30821, Model k181RT, serial 14070356) that runs great..but poses a challenge as I try to re-use it on a log splitter. Originally it was on a commercial lawn aerator and came with a “reducer” attached to the engine. I have no need for the reducer so naturally I took it off – expecting to see some sort of gear on the crank that I could just take take off. Well wouldn’t you know it the crank is actually the gear – meaning the end of the crank is machined like a worm gear. First time Ive ever seen one cut like a worm gear. Anyway- Do you think I’d have any problem using a smooth faced Lovejoy connector (with set screw) on the worm gear?? ( I don’t recall the crank diameter. ) Or can you guys think of any other way to connect it to the splitter pump?? thanks dave

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

Chances are that the end of the crank is not a gear. Should be a pressed on gear as the crankshafts are not hardened. Otherwise. I'd say to pull the crank, have it machined down and a key broached and then stick your coupler on it.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You may have a problem finding a Lovejoy connector to fit that worm gear, It is most likely a odd size.

Looks like as DOLMAR stated or find a good used standard crankshaft.

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

We've neglected that with the proper amount of the handy-man's secret weapon, anything can be accomplished. Duct-Tape!
  5. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Just weld the lovejoy coupler to the crank and be done with it. Use a garden hose to put water over the crankshaft near the bearing and seal. This will carry damaging heat away. I've had to do this many times on emergency repairs. They usually end up being long term repairs and don't cost anything extra if the other option is buying new parts anyway.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

yeah weld it sounds good